Chapter 9: Fate

The road was visible once more; the vast forest that for a moment felt like it was eternal had an end and the end was just up ahead. All Uma wanted was to get rid of her red-headed companion and go where she needed to go.

"We need to stop." 

"We are almost out of here." She tried to keep the irritation in her voice to a minimum, though she didn't think she was doing a good job at it.

"I don't feel so hot." He said sounding out of breath. Uma fought the urge to growl and simply turned around, keeping her face emotionless. He didn't look good. He was leaning over with a hand supporting him against a tree and the other pressed along his head. His eyes were pressed painfully together.

"You can make it. Auradon Prep isn't far." She tried to encourage him and he only lifted his head a bit.

"How far?"

"About a mile away." She said to him, fisting her hand tightly before uncurling it and offering it to him. "Here, otherwise we aren't going anywhere."

He peeked at her hand and nodded. "Just give me a minute to breathe."

She counted the seconds impatiently, but before she hit forty-five he snapped his head up with a tired smile.

"Let's go." He said, pushing himself back up. "I may need to hold onto you though."

She nodded and he moved his arm around her shoulder, leaning into her. Uma wanted to push the weight away, but she didn't. He would most likely fall.

It was no wonder Mal had called her weak.

"I wonder how long I can make it if I were to just try and make a run for it." He said after a few seconds of walking together.

"Go ahead and try. I give you a minute of running before you pass out." She said.

"Are you gonna help me up if I do?"

She rolled her eyes. "Not a chance."

He feigned disappointment, "I really wanted to see if how far I could go though?"

She waved him forward, "Like I said go ahead."

"I'm honestly tempted." 

Uma wanted to slap him upside the head. "And there's your reason for falling out of a tree. You're reckless."

He chuckled and nodded, "I usually have my..." he stopped talking and Uma looked over.

"Your what?" She asked, wondering if he was remembering something. 

"I don't remember." And then he sagged down, almost dragging her down.

 "I can't carry you if you faint on me." She grunted lightly, helping him straighten out.

"No, I think I'm fine." He dropped his hand from her shoulder and took a few steps. Uma crossed her arms.

"Like I said if you pass out you're staying on the ground."

"Not unless you catch me first." He said, looking over his shoulder with a playful grin.

"So then I can fall in the attempt and bump my head?" She snorted, "No way. You fall you stay there. I can't carry you and I don't have a phone to call anyone."

"You'd have someone come looking for you, wouldn't you? If you didn't have a phone you told someone you were coming?" He looked at her expectedly and Uma shook her head. 

"You may told someone but I didn't. I'm not a fan of telling anyone where I'm going."

"Now that sounds risky. I wouldn't go hiking without telling one of my..." He trailed off once again and Uma found it annoying.