Chapter 21: Exhausted

"I can't believe it. I am tired. I am actually, incredibly, tired. " Melody sighed, flopping back onto the sand. They had reached the shore just moments ago after speeding through the water for half an hour.

"Do you have any idea how difficult that is for me? My mom always said I was a ball of never-ending energy—but you managed to tire me. I don't even think that I can switch back to my legs let alone stand." Melody raised both of her arms into the air and Uma watched them fall back to her side with a heavy thud.

"How about being quiet?" Uma muttered tiredly, splayed against the warm sand right beside Melody. Her legs ached, her arms were sore, her body was begging for food, and Melody was still talking. She let her hand hang over her face, blocking out the shining sun.

Uma took in a deep breath a minute later and clapped her hands together, sitting up, "Okay, that's enough rest. We have to get going."

"We literally got here a minute ago. And I know that you're as beat as I am."

"Yeah well, if I don't get up now I won't get up at all." She didn't want to stand at all but she forced her body to get up despite a bit of protesting. Uma shook out her legs, bringing her arms over her head to stretch. She was merely ten minutes away from her destination.

"Where are we even going?" Melody asked, propping herself up by the elbow.

"You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want to."

"I didn't come all this way just to let you go on by yourself." She grumbled before her tail lit up the area and turned back into two legs.

"Then stop complaining and start walking." Uma just hoped she was able to follow the same advice. "We're close anyway."

                                                                       ...

"This is where we've been walking to this entire time? It's literally close to the road. You can't hide here, you'll be easily found. You have to go further in...what are you doing?"

Uma was on the ground, brushing away the branches and foliage from her desired prize. She procured the plastic bag and grinned, dusting all the dirt from it and taking out her ratty shoulder bag.

"Finally," she said.

"What is it?" Melody asked, peeking over her shoulder.

Uma pulled out her clothes, shaking them out.

"...We came all this way for your clothes?" Melody asked in bewilderment.

"And my hat." She said happily, flipping the hat out and admiring it.

"We walked for hours and swam for miles to get your hat?" Melody's voice pitched and Uma nodded, tossing the now useless bag away.

"Yep."

"I'm going to kill you," Melody muttered, leaning into the tree beside her.

"I'd like to see you try." Uma chuckled.

"Now do me a favor and turn away."

Melody groaned and turned her head to the sky. Uma shed the irritating dress and rapidly stepped into her own comfortable clothes.

"Finally, I missed my clothes."

"Uma...that up there that's shining...?" Melody twisted her head to get a better look. Uma already knew what she was talking about and told her.

"Yes, it's my sword." She regretted tossing it up there in the first place. Now she had to climb the damn tree to get it back.

Melody looked at her, completely baffled. "How in the world did you manage that?"