Chapter 34: Uma's choice

She couldn't stop thinking about what Mal had said. 

'This won't just affect Auradon it will affect the Isle.'

And the feeling that came with it, like the moment after a fight when she couldn't see her crew; where she couldn't tell if Harry or even that fool Gil were okay or not. The strange feeling that something was wrong but she didn't know what it was yet. The prickling feeling in the back of her neck when a storm was coming. She had made up her mind while Melody was gone.

She had to go back to the isle.

It wasn't a want; it was a need. She needed to go back. There had to be a reason she had heard Mal and Mal had seen her. There had to be a reason the visions drew anger from them both.

A fight was coming...and for once it wasn't with Mal.

She hated thinking about that.

Uma took a deep breath and rolled out of the bed, slipping her feet into her boots and tying the laces. She straightened her jacket and rolled her hair up and out of her face before grabbing her hat and heading for the door. There was a slight pain running through the back of her head and Uma thought momentarily of turning back and taking the medication she was supposed to take, but she didn't. The pain wasn't completely unbearable.

What she needed to do was find a way into the isle first. She wouldn't go begging anyone to let her go back. She'd find a way back in herself without her necklace, without Melody's and without asking Ben.

Uma managed to put one foot on the stairway when she was stopped.

"You literally just came out of a coma a few hours ago. Why don't you just listen and stay in bed?"

Uma turned to see Melody coming down from the next stairway, her cheeks flushed as if she had been running.

"Melody, if I wanted to stay in bed I would stay in bed."

"Clearly. But that doesn't matter Harris remembers everything!" Melody grinned from ear to ear, pulling on Uma's arm.

"What? How?" She asked, jerking her arm away.

"He was talking to Hamish and I don't know I wasn't making an effort to listen in to a private conversation, but Hamish came out and said he remembered him." Every word came out quickly, making Uma work to understand every word Melody said, "I was coming to get the rest of his family and...where were you going?" She finished slowly, looking down at Uma's boots.

Uma shook her head, "That can wait. Go and let them know."

Melody smiled again and nodded her head, "Yeah, you're right. I'll be back." Melody ran off, leaving Uma by herself.

Uma could wait a few more minutes; she needed Melody to point her toward Auradon anyway.

It didn't take long for the echoes of their running footsteps to make the castle sound alive. Merida was the quickest, darting up the stairs as if they were nothing. King Fergus was the loudest and Queen Elinor barely visible behind his large figure. Melody appeared, taking the stairs slower than the rest, coming to a stop on the side where Uma was.

"Now, what are you doing?"

Uma waved at herself, "Standing here."

Melody rolled her eyes, "You know what I mean, you're supposed to be in bed? And that's not a simple suggestion from the doctor, it's necessary for you to get better."

"I am better I don't need any more rest. What I do need is to go."

Melody blinked, "Go where?"

"Back to Auradon so I can get back to the isle." She said.