Chapter 3: An Aria Of Familiarness

The loose rocks below her feet rolled off toward the coast. A few rocks skipping in front of her as Gil kicked at them.

There in the distance, a hooded figure dragged a woman from the water.  The girl's black hair covering her face.

"Someone went swimming without knowing how to swim," Harry said, looking entertained.

"No, I don't think so guys, there was no one in the water when I went in," Gil said as he brushed back his wet hair.

"They could have been washed up from the other side of the isle, you dimwit." Harry smacked Gil in the back of his head.

"Hadn't thought of that."

"I'm sure you hardly ever do."

The hooded man removed his hood and she was taken by surprise to find the stranger she saw only a week before.

"I would have thought you dead by now." She remarked when she came closer.

"Still have some life in me." He replied quietly.

"It's a shame, her mother's friends were a bit hungry and I was hoping to feed them."

The man glared at Harry. "Another day maybe, hook boy."

"Harry, sweetheart. Hook boy is what you'll be known as after I run it through your mouth."

"Harry, that's enough." She placed a hand on his chest to hold him back. He backed away making a show of polishing the hook in his hand.

"What do you have here?"

"Don't know, your pal there found her floating in the water and he swam her back here. I just pulled her out of the water."

She turned to look at Gil who went red, "I didn't want her to drown." He said.

"Usually by the time they are floating they are already dead," Harry said to Gil.

The stranger had his head over the woman's chest.

"Her heart is still beating." He said, eyes widening. He was quick to move, placing his hands over her chest and pumping down.

Uma's eyes went over to the girl's chest where a golden locket hung on her neck, it was shaped like a clam and the letters spelled out a name that Uma knew.

MELODY.

"Melody..." Her name spilled from her lips. Harry quirked his brow at her.

"You know her?" He asked, trying to place the unconscious girl. Something he would have trouble with as Uma never mentioned her.

"I know of her," she said as the girl below spit out sea water, gasping for breath. Melody's eyes fluttered open for a second before she closed them. Uma bent down on her knee and snatched the locket from her, stuffing it into her pocket.

"What the—"

Harry stepped in, shoving the guy away. "Help requires payment."

"You did nothing!" The man argued.

Harry stood in front of him, wiggling his finger at him, "My darling Gil was the one to find her, it's only fair we get the prize."

"It's stealing."

"It's payment." Harry replied, shoving him down into the coarse sand.

Uma raised her hand, "Leave him, Harry."

Harry bit down on his lip and nodded, dragging his feet in the sand as he stepped away.

"We're gonna take her off your hands. Gil, you can carry her."

Gil's eyes widened but he nodded, going over to still unconscious Melody and picking her up gently. Harry gave her a look, silently asking what she was doing.

"We need to find help for her." The man argued.

"She'll have help, don't you worry about her. We'll make sure she gets back to where she comes from." She looked at Melody for a moment before looking back at the man, "And if you're still alive in a couple of days come find me at my ship. I might be interested in helping you get out of here."

"What?" He said, confused.

"What?" Harry growled in disbelief, his head snapping to look at her.

"You heard me." She dismissed turning back to Gil, "Bring her back to the ship, Gil."

He nodded, "Yes, boss." And he carried her off.

"What exactly are you planning?" Harry turned to her once they started heading back to the ship themselves.

"Am I not allowed to help out a fellow human?" She said innocently.

Harry's face broke into a grin, knowing she was in the process of planning something in her head, "Not without an extraordinarily good reason."

"I have a good reason; he needs help getting back onto mainland and so does she." She gestured toward Melody.

"Endless possibilities this can go with you."

"Try to guess."

"A distraction." He guessed.

"If it all works out." She winked at him. Harry laughed.

                                                                                              ...

Uma had one leg propped up on a chair, the other swinging freely below her. She was in her ship, in her own personal room. On the small cot she called her bed laid the long form of someone she never thought she would see in her lifetime. Melody, daughter of Ariel and Eric. 

"You've roamed a little far from home haven't you, Melody? What were you trying to do, be a part of our world?" She chuckled knowing she would receive no response. She pulled out the golden locket from her pocket and watched it glisten in front of her face.

"Does this have any magical abilities or is it just so you won't forget you're own precious name?"

She inspected it, the engraved lines that spelled out her name, the perfectly carved shape and then she opened it. She winced at the blinding light that poured out of the locket. The moving image of her uncle's underwater palace shone brightly in front of her face, mermaids and merman swimming happily all around against the musical toon that hummed against her hands.

Atlantica, her mother's childhood home. In another world, it may have been her home.

She continued to stare at the moving images until a small moan brought her back to the present. She shoved the locket into her pocket quickly and sat up. Melody shifted in the cot, a pained frown appearing on her face.

"Mom?" She murmured, lifting her hand to her forehead with a groan.

"Have another guess." She said, standing up

"What happened? Where am I?" Melody blinked, slowly turning her head gently to get a good look at her when she did her eyes widened and she bolted up.

"Uma."

"Melody."

Melody looked around, "I made it to the Isle?"

"I wouldn't be standing in front of you if you hadn't."

For a moment all Melody did was stare at her and then she moved so quickly Uma had no time to react. Her arms went around her and Uma stood there shocked as Melody hugged her.