Chapter 35: Not The End Yet

"What do you say? Come and make a home for yourself in Auradon."

So many thoughts went through her head, so many emotions. She wanted to slam the phone against the dash. She wanted to smile like an idiot. She wanted to shout something out.

She deserved to be in Auradon. It was an opportunity Ben had given the others that he hadn't given to her.

"Do you know how long I waited for this chance?" Uma eventually said with a bitter laugh.

"I can't even begin to imagine."

"No, I guess you can't, but you've been the only one in Auradon to try..." In all her life, he'd been the only person who had done something about the isle.

"Will you make a place in Auradon for yourself? You can't start your life over but you can shape the rest of it however you decide."

She tapped her fingers against her thigh as she thought about it. Then she stopped, letting only one word slip through her mouth.

"No."

Ben was silent on the other end.

"I'm a little lost here. You don't want to stay?"

She glanced up at the roof of the car, "I think I more than earned it, but I can't accept right now. Ask me again some other time."

"What do you mean?'"

She closed her eyes, leaning her head back. "I'm going back to the isle. I have no idea how long that's going to last. So ask me again another time."

"Why are you going back to the—-"

Uma hung up the phone.

"He talks too much." She muttered, handing the phone back to Melody. Melody took it without looking away from the steering wheel.

"I couldn't really hear everything he said to you, but what I thought I heard was that he gave you a place in Auradon and you turned it down?" Melody's voice pitched at the end.

"I can't say yes when I'm going back to the isle of the lost."

Melody gave a short laugh, "Yes you can, you can say yes and tell him you're going back for a while."

"What's wrong with asking me again?"

Melody sighed deeply.

...

"Have you thought about how you're getting back?"

"Steal fairy godmothers wand?" she suggested with a yawn.

"Good luck. They've only fortified its protection ten times since last time."

"And yet it's nearly stolen each time."

Melody laughed then sighed as she slowed down to park on the side of the road. The shore was only footsteps away and the isle, grey as always, in the distance. 

And her ship, still in its port...

They had made it through the border easily; they knew what Uma had done and they had let them through. After a small nap Melody had finished the last of the drive.

"It's my only guarantee you'll return."

"What?" Uma turned. Melody held her necklace in front of her.

"It's your only way in that doesn't involve more magic or stealing wands."

She could say no. She could push it away and try to get in another way, but there wasn't many ways for her to get through even if she wanted to.