Chapter 26: Allegiances

Uma had forgotten about getting any rest as she stood at the top of the stairs, leaning into the rail. She hadn't been invited but with the way Merida had yelled out for her mother, it was clear that her father hadn't returned just from any shopping trip.

He was a boulder of a man with the same fiery red hair as his children, albeit with a generous amount of gray. A frightening size but his face held a youthful glow behind the worry lines that creased his face.

"How's my boy?" He yelled.

"He's just fine Fergus, he doesn't remember anything but he's fine." The Queen placated the man, holding him in an embrace. Her arms didn't reach all around.

"You found the witch?" Merida asked with interest.

King Fergus nodded, "She's just outside. I'll leave you to that. I have to go and see my son."

He went past them and climbed the stairs. Uma didn't move because she wasn't hiding anything.

The King stopped just as he was about to pass her.

"And who are you?" He asked loudly, towering in front of her as he scrutinized her.

"She's a little nosy," Merida called from below. Uma flashed down a smirk.

"Uma." She answered his question.

"Uma?" He repeated, frowning as he concentrated on something. "Where have I heard that name? Honey!?"

"Likely from the television, dear." The Queen called up.

"What did you do?" His attention came back to Uma.

She answered truthfully, "I've allegedly kidnapped Melody and—"

"Eric's girl?" He interrupted before she got to the 'made everyone forget their memories' thing.

"Yeah." She lifted her shoulders.

"And did you?"

"It's really the other way around now." She said with a light chuckle.

"I wouldn't put it past Melody, dad, but unfortunately, she hasn't kidnap a child of the Isle. At the moment." Merida said, leaning into the banister below.

"You're saying we got another one of them? You're an isle kid?" His intense stare was on her again and Uma nodded coolly.

"I am."

The reaction was the exact opposite of what Uma thought it would be; he was grinning madly. "Ha! Which boy have we got settled this time, Elinor?" His eyes twinkled as he turned down to his wife.

"Neither of them," Merida said quickly.

King Fergus looked between Merida and Uma with even more excitement. "...So you two?"

"No, dad!" Merida groaned, covering her face in her hands.

"What?" He asked looking confused.

"Well for one; I don't need to settle down with anyone if I'm not ready or I don't want to. Two; Uma is practically a baby."

"Even if I was interested in your daughter—I'm not into grandma's." Uma quipped immediately.

Merida stood straight at the bottom of the stairs, her hair basically taking a life of its own as she ran up.

"Oh you take that back you little—"

Her finger was at her chest and King Fergus stepped in between. Uma had a grin on her face.