Chapter 11: A Charming Life

The woman sent her a small smile. It slowly dropped as she narrowed her eyes.

"That necklace... I know I have seen it before...?"

Uma wrapped her hand around it. The damn thing must have fallen out when she was running.

"This old thing? You see one shell-shaped necklace you've seen them all. It's nothing big. " She said with a careful smile.

"It's beautiful. "

Uma's grip loosened and she tucked it back into her blouse. "Thank you. "

The siren of an ambulance sounded, and the flickering lights nearly blinded Uma where she stood. Uma bent her head forward and shook her hair out so it covered her face. A man and a woman stepped out and rushed over to the two on the ground. The dwarf's wife went over and began to calmly explain what had happened. Uma kept herself at a distance, keeping an even look on her face.

A fire truck pulled up along with another smaller car a moment later. A boy with glasses stepped out of the latter, running over to the woman. Uma was sure she had seen him before somewhere. 

"Mom, mom!" The boy called out, wrapping his arms around the woman.

"I'm fine sweetie, I'm fine." She told him, kissing the taller boy on the forehead.

"What happened to dad?" The boy asked, pulling away to go check on the dwarf.

"An experiment. " The mother explained and it seemed to make everything clear to the boy.

"We're gonna need you to move away." A firefighter said to the boy. The woman went over and pulled her son away.

"Doug, get out of their way. Come on. " She said as she guided him back. Uma felt as if she knew that name.

And then it hit her.

He was on the ship standing by Evie. He'd seen her up close. 

Uma wasn't going to stay to find out if he recognized her. She took a step back and slipped away while everyone was focused on one thing or another.

She had nothing else to do there anyway.

                                                                                                   ...

Auradon Prep was a sight to behold, with its magnificent towers and the flowers that carefully decorated the courtyard. It was less so with the crowd of noisy inhabitants that seemed to occupy every inch of the picture-perfect castle. The last time she'd come only a few scattered souls were out. Everyone had been busy with the dance.

There was no dance today—that Uma was aware of—and yet, Uma had no need to hide or cover herself. It could be due to her different look or the fact that she recognized no one. Once or twice someone looked at her and Uma gave them a smile that had been carefully crafted; sweet and kind; and all Auradon.

Blending in was a piece of cake.

The tricky part would be getting into Ben's room as he lived at the topmost tower and this time she would be easier to spot in the daylight. She couldn't just stand there and look up in the middle of the field so Uma moved out of the courtyard and toward a round stone piece that she could only assume was a part of a larger sculpture. She wasn't stupid enough to walk through the doors and she was in no hurry to get caught trying to scale the side of the castle.

She could wait for an opening.

Someone was sitting at a table a way off with a plate of food in front of them. She had something to eat in the morning but the morning had passed and now the sight of the food made her stomach ache in hunger. She would just have to go and find something to eat. A couple of voices came through the trees behind her. Uma barely glanced back.