Chapter 23: DunBroch

She got a better look at him, at Hamish.  He had a slimmer form than Harris but the same unruly red hair. The only difference was Hamish attempted to tame it with a band pulling it up into a bun. His light eyes were blotted red, almost if he had been crying. His face pale and his hands were slightly shaking as he took two steps forward and crushed Melody in a hug.

"I'm glad to see you," Hamish said, pulling away from Melody. "I've tried calling and sending you messages but you haven't replied to any of them."

"I have an excuse. I had—no lie— a hundred messages on my screen, and then this girl over here broke my phone." Melody pointed at her and Hamish looked as if he had just noticed her. He looked at her warily, his eyebrows pushed together.

"What they've been saying about you..."

"It's not true Hamish." Melody intercepted in defense. "She hasn't done anything to any of the people."

"Are you acting out of your own free will?" He asked Melody, looking at her in suspicion.

"Yes, you dunderhead," Melody replied, slapping lightly at his head.

A smile broke across Hamish's face. "Yes, it's you."

"Your brother...?" Melody began and Hamish looked away, his smile falling.

"He's home. He just got here a couple of hours ago." He said, his voice heavy. "He has a concussion."

"Does he remember anything?" Uma wondered.

He looked at her, a flash of fury in his eyes. "He remembers you. But not me or Hubert, or our sister, or..." 

"It's not her fault, Ham." Melody put a hand on his shoulder.

"I know." He sniffed and looked at his feet.

"How far is your home from here?" Uma asked, unfazed by his apparent anger at her. She was used to people hating her. She looked down when his feet kicked around at the dirt.

"A few minutes on horse...why?"

"I would think that you brothers stuck together through sickness and in health. "

He looked up at that. "We're triplets, not married. "

She shrugged, "Still. You said your brother just got here not two hours ago and yet you're out here. Didn't want anyone to see you crying?"

"Uma, stop it. " Melody sent her a look when Hamish tensed. Uma merely shrugged.

"What's so wrong about asking a question?"

"Hamish we are dead tired. Is your home safe—I mean, is it safe for Uma to come?"

"You know my parents would never turn her away...particularly now that Harris is home and he told us about Uma."

"What did he say?" Melody perked up in interest.

"You aren't nosy at all, are you?" Uma crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at Melody. Melody raised a finger to Uma's lips and shushed her. She found herself too tired to push her hand away. So she turned her head and bit her.

"Ouch!" Melody yelped, pulling her hand away from Uma. "I can't believe you just bit me!"

Uma sent her a toothy grin. Hamish chuckled slightly.

"Never put your finger near a V.K's mouth." She warned.

"They bite," Hamish said matter-of-factly, a hint of a smile on the edge of his lips.

"Do you know what I learned from my parents?" Melody said with a soft scowl.

"Let me guess: kindness?"