Chapter 17: A Big Mistake

Uma made a big mistake.

She'd let her curiosity get the better of her and that reason alone was why she was seated in the passenger's seat of Melody's car. 

And oh, how Melody liked to talk.

 She had even gambled with the thought of jumping out of the moving car just to get as far away from her because she wouldn't take the hint of not wanting to speak to her.

Then, much to her luck,  Melody popped a question she had never guessed she would ask.

"So is he single?" 

Uma tried to focus her attention on the road and on her foot that tapped against the mat on the floor. The thick forested road eventually came to an end and an open field lay ahead, leading to a city that just barely gleamed in the distance. 

"Is he single?" Melody pressed again, poking her side.

Uma's hand nearly shot out, the only thing that stopped her was the fact that Melody was driving and Uma wasn't looking to kill herself in a car crash.

"Is he single? " she asked again and Uma's foot started tapping harder on the floor. "Umaaaa?"

Melody poked her on the side of the head that time. Uma moved her head away.

 "I thought it was clear by my lack of response how interested I am in this conversation." 

"You don't have to talk at all, just nod or shake your head. Is he single?"

Uma's hand fisted into the side of her thigh as she shrugged.

"Yes, you do know if he's single or not he's your friend."

"He's not my friend, he's a crewmate." And that's how it had to be.

"A crewmate would know if he's single or not." Melody pointed out.

"Why do you want to know?" Uma said,  her voice not hiding the annoyance she was feeling.

"Why can't I know?" Melody responded with a shrug of her own.

"If I'm guessing correctly, you're not setting foot on the Isle again, nor would mommy and daddy let you. So, what does it matter if he's single or not."

Melody lifted one of her shoulders, "Well, for one: he's nice and he likes the sea. Plus if he's under your leadership it means he's loyal. And he's not bad on the eye either." Melody looked over to wink.

"The guy knocked you out on my orders. Maybe you need to reconsider the people you think are nice or reconsider your whole mental state on the whole."

Melody glanced quickly at Uma before bursting out with laughter.

"I'm not going to steal your hook wearing boyfriend! I mean he's certainly...interesting, but the whole knocking me out is a no go for me. I was talking about the other one, the one who didn't hit me."

Uma blinked before chuckling, "Oh, you mean the idiot who was guarding your door so you wouldn't escape?" She had to emphasize it again. Gil wasn't as terrible as he should be but the last thing Uma needed was to lose a trusted crew member.

"Yeah, he was sweet to me."

"Gil is sweet to everyone, don't think yourself special. There is no denying he is the son of Gaston, wooing all the girls he meets. And again do I have to mention the whole he was standing guard to keep you from leaving?"

Melody raised her hands in the air. "Nobody's perfect. You're right he did a crummy thing but so did you, and I've forgiven you for it so why can't I forgive him? Besides, I never said I was going to marry the guy."