Chapter 28: Lies

The Witch was a tiny little thing, but she moved fast.
Uma had excused herself from the room and went after her before she went too far. Melody hadn't followed her—she was fuming about losing the scone for no reason.

She could see the witch getting closer to the gate but one of the triplets, Hamish, she unmistakably assumed, stopped her before she got too close to the gate. Uma stopped in her own tracks to listen.

"You cannot leave like this!" He exclaimed, grabbing the Witches arm.

"I have done all I can and I believe that it is more than enough." With a flick of her fingers, the Witch appeared a foot away from him.

"It's not enough." He said, not looking surprised by the power of the old Witch.

"You required of me one thing and one thing you acquired."

"This isn't what I meant. I never meant..." His words faltered as he looked around. Uma had already stepped to the side to stand just behind one of the food stalls. Eavesdropping was an easy skill to learn and something she had mastered from a young age. With the lack of magic on the island, they all had to learn different ways to stay in power.

He continued talking, quietly enough, but not near as quiet as he should be, "I didn't want my brother to...I just wanted...I need him back."

"That is a task that is only up to you." The Witch replied.

"But how? You aren't telling me what to do."

"Look into your heart and the answer lies as clear as the summer sky."

Hamish threw his hands up into the sky, running them through his hair. "That only confuses me more."

"I fear I have my own complications at the moment young Hamish."

"We've all seen the news."

"A complication that would not have come to fruition if it were not for you."

Uma's head perked up at the sudden revelation.

"I just wanted my brother to be okay with my engagement, I'm not going to assume the guilt of all those people that you poisoned with your pastries."

Now, this was something that Uma wasn't expecting to hear. If anything she was secretly hoping that another villain had escaped the Isle with no one's knowledge and started getting some revenge, then when she saw the snack she quickly reasoned it had been the Witch who had gone mad. That would have been more believable...and more exciting. This was just pathetic.

"A poison you were more than willing to feed to your brother." The Witch confirmed for Uma, though she didn't need confirmation of anything at that point.

"You said that it would help him change his mind."

"And a change of mind was made. Now another change of mind is needed to recover what was lost."

"Give me something more, how do I fix this, how do I make my brother return?"

Uma clapped her hands together, finally stepping out. It never was fun to just sit in the shadows.

"I have to say, poisoning someone's food completely escaped from my mind." She smiled at Hamish though the act of what he did was nothing to be delighted about.

Hamish closed his eyes and let his head hang down when he saw her. The Witch had no reaction.

Uma kept going, "...Either because I'm an idiot or I'm not nearly as evil as I always thought I was, I don't know..." She chuckled, "But I do applaud you, Hamish. You'd be praised back on the Isle, poisoning a brother to get him out of the picture and letting the blame fall on me? Congratulations you'd make an excellent villain."