Chapter 24: The Family

The shock went away quickly as C.J leaped to her feet, leaving a breathless Hamish flustered on the floor.

"Umey!" She cried out with far more excitement than should have been necessary.

"Don't call me that." She mumbled as C.J crushed her in a bear hug.

"Umey?" Melody asked with a teasing smile. Uma grimaced over C.J's shoulder.

"It must be so nice to see me!" C.J squealed right into Uma's ear, making her wince. Uma patted the blonde in the back half-heartedly.

"It would be a lot nicer if you weren't crushing me."

C.J immediately loosened her grip and stepped back, "How's my sweet little father?"

"Wondering why he was given a daughter that can't even call him to tell him where she is."

C.J had the decency to look guilty over that.

"I wanted to call but I realized I never bothered to learn the number, though I did think about sneaking back in to say hello but I thought it wasn't the best idea," her gaze went off toward Hamish, "I wouldn't know how to return to my Hammy wammy."

Hamish snuck his way back to C.J's side and looped his arms around her waist. C.J turned and wrapped her arms around his neck, leaning up to kiss him. Uma grimaced and looked away.

"Oh, are those two at it again?" A woman stood at the top of the stairs, her hair as red as her brothers, and even more incredibly, wilder. Uma immediately knew who she was. 

Merida leaned against the railing, "Oi lovebirds there's at least fifty rooms in here and you're going at it in the middle of the grand hall! Have some decency no one wants to see you trying to bite the others face off!" But it was like the two hadn't heard a word.

"Hey, Merida." Melody waved and Merida came down the stairs.

"Melody, it's nice to see you. I'm sorry about this little show. Ever since he met C.J it's the pirate's life for him." Merida chuckled and turned to look at her.

"I'm assuming you're Uma. I thought you'd look a bit more scary."

"Sadly, I don't think I inherited that from my mother." She retorted.

Merida laughed and clapped her hand on Uma's shoulder. "I like you."

"How's Harris doing?" Melody asked her though Uma wasn't sure why-- Hamish told them a little while ago.

"He's doing better than we are. He doesn't have to suffer looking at these two." Merida pointed with her thumb to the two that were still shamelessly making out in front of them all. Uma didn't hesitate as she went behind C.J and firmly kicked her on the side of the leg. C.J shrieked and fell to the floor, cradling her leg.

"I promised your brother." She simply said when C.J looked at her with wide eyes.

"Thank you Uma for ending the slobberfest," Merida said brightly. "You're a true hero for that."

"Breaking my leg is nothing to be applauded!" C.J complained as she was being helped up by Hamish.

"If anything we're more surprised by the fact that you haven't already broken a leg with all that swinging. Seriously where in the world did you get that rope tied to? Or the one yesterday when we were outside?"

"It's a gift," C.J said, throwing her long blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Not even her parents are able to answer that. They're as baffled as we are." Uma pitched in.