Ch. 5: A truck load with...

We wandered around in the streets, not quite knowing where to go. And now we were approaching a huge parking lot, meant for trucks. But today the place looked empty, except from one lonely, shabby looking truck that was parked on the other end from where we were.

"That one," Mr. Jackson said, and nodded towards it.

"What?! The truck? What about the truck?"

Instead of answering, he took my hand and dragged me after him. But once again, I yanked myself loose from him.

"You seriously need to stop that, Jackson! I can walk on my own, you know."

He tried to hold back a stifle.

"Yeah, but you're moving a bit slow today."

And then he cracked up and ran a few steps ahead of me, knowing damn well that I couldn't knee him in the groin if he kept his distance.

The truck looked deserted, and Mr. Jackson climbed up by standing on the bumper, to be able to look inside through the window. I heard him hum a little, before he turned to me with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"The keys are in the ignition."

He wiggled his eyebrows, and jumped down. Then he opened the door and made a grimace that was unmistakable. And when I got closer, I smelled it too:
A stench of old tobacco and sweat.

"It ain't no limo, but it'll do," he said. But I planted my feet to the ground.

"Nu-uh. What in the world are going to do with an old truck?!"

"Shhh! Keep it down! There's people here!" he whispered loudly.

I hadn't noticed the two men standing next to a building that looked like some sort of storage shed, and I immediately felt nervous. Luckily, they hadn't seen us yet, so I let Mr. Jackson help me climb inside, before he dumped into the driver's seat next to me.

"I ask again; what are we going to do with a friggin truck?! Do you even know how to drive one?"

What if you crash, Gail? You can't end up in a hospital, or worse; in the hands of the Police, trying to explain a stolen truck, and possibly driving without truck license. And not to forget; you're wanted for murder!

"I've driven a truck before."

He didn't convince me, though. And sure enough, shortly after his face cracked up into a sheepish smirk.

"In the sandbox, when I was a kid...!"

Of course he did, Gail... What else did you expect?! This is going down...

"And you know what trucks are for, right?"

"Uhm, yeah? To bring stuff somewhere!"

I rolled my eyes at his dumb question.
He didn't answer, though. He just started the engine, and impressed me by successfully bring the motor into gear, and drive off. He didn't even choke it! I mentally applauded.

"But we don't have anything to bring. And we don't know where to bring it... Uhm... The nothingness."

I giggled a little, hearing how dumb it sounded.

"What if the truck is already loaded?" he asked, looking sly as ever.

"What if it's not?" I countered.

"We don't know that yet. But we can't stop to find out until we've found some place safe to hide it."

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief.

"We're gonna hide a truck..." My voice was drenched in sarcasm.
"Did you notice the size of this?!"

No reaction. He just shifted gear, and turned left and out of the parking lot. I took a short glance at the two men standing by the shed, and they were still busy with what seemed a heated discussion.