Ch. 18: I need a hug

But she didn't. She remained standing there in silence right behind me. But by now, I didn't really care if she heard me or not. I was too fed up with all of it to keep it in! I felt my shoulders start shaking in the irregular rhythm of my hiccups, as all my frustration and sadness came out in silent, hoarse sobs. And I dug my face into the crook of my elbow, trying to avoid messing up the couch pillows with tears and, probably also soon, snot. I barely noticed that Michaela had sat down on her knees behind me. First when she placed her hand on my shoulder, I noticed that she was still there, but I quickly shrugged, in an attempt to push her away.

"O'boy..." she said quietly.

I wanted to roll my eyes. I wanted to throw a fit or curse her out. And I even wanted to slap her until her head started working again so one of Michael's other personalities could come through instead, because when he was like this, I felt like the loneliest person on the planet.

"Go away," I mumbled with a strained voice.

"Baby... Why are you crying? Tell me what happened."

I kept sulking silently, ignoring everything else other than trying to breathe without making noise.

"Please..."

I heard her shift and then felt the weight of her body when she sat down behind me. Then she pulled me around to face her, before she cradled me gently into a warm hug.

"Baby... It's me, Michael. Please don't cry."

But when it occurred to me that it finally was him that was holding me, wiping away my tears with gentle hands and who rubbed my back over and over, I cried even worse. Because the relief I felt right there and then, made me sob my whole heart out to a person I knew was there for me, unconditionally.

"I'm here, baby. It's alright now. Everything will be just right."

"I've missed you..." I managed to whisper into his neck, and he pulled me even tighter than before.

"I know, baby... I'm so sorry I wasn't there. What did I do? Did I make you this sad?"

He kissed my temple and stroked my back, whispering comforting words of love, while he waited for me to calm down a little.

"Yes... No. I don't know. I just had the worst twenty four hours of my life. Please just...hug me."

He rocked us gently back and forth for a while, before he let go of me just long enough to pull me up sideways onto his lap. Then he embraced me again, cradling the back of my head in his large hand, and I felt like he never wanted to let me go. And the feeling was mutual.

"Did Mr. Jackson do something to you?"

I giggled sadly.

"No, it wasn't him..." I started. Then I moved a little, so I could see his worried face.

"Have you ever been to Milan?" I finally asked.

Michael giggled a little too.

"To Milan? I don't know. Why?"

"Just..."
I cuddled up closer to him, if it even was possible, and hid my face in the crook of his neck. To think that he was another person only minutes ago, felt completely absurd now.

"Wait... I was there once a couple years ago, at a Police conference, I think."

"But... Did anything out of the ordinary happen?"

"What do you mean?"

I swallowed and continued hesitantly.

"You weren't at a fashion show by any chance?"