Ch. 46: Guess who's back?

I managed to get a couple of hours sleep after I had made sure that Annie had a full stomach and empty diaper. But when Applehead decided to start the day by emptying the bowl of last night's cereal, on the floor, I found it best to get up to do some damage control. Fortunately enough, the floor wasn't carpeted, so it was easy to clean up his mess. But as soon as I'd cleaned up one thing, he'd done something else, and when he almost knocked the TV down, I'd had it.

"You! You, rascal! Sit your ass down on that chair before I strangle you!"

I pointed to a chair by the desk next to the bed, and reluctantly Applehead did as I told. Then I hurried to find Mr. Jackson's belt, a squinted at him.

Don't do anything stupid now, Gail! He doesn't deserve anything of what your father did to you. He's three and a half. He...

I tied him to the chair with his hands behind his back.

Oh. That... That was actually not a bad idea.

"Now you sit there, while I fix us breakfast and find out how to find a real estate agent that speaks English."

Applehead whined and tried to get loose, but to no avail. And when I shushed him while picking up the phone to call for room service again, he pouted and looked dangerously close to crying.

"I'll buy you some toys afterwards if you behave, kiddo," I said lowly and patted him on his head, while waiting for the receptionist to pick up.

"Hi, yeah. Me again. Yes, I'm sorry about that. Uhm, look. We're hungry again, and we can't go to the dining area to eat like regular people, because... Well. Just because! We can't. Can you send up some more of... Something edible. And... Yes. Yes, Sir. Yes...no! Okay. That good enough. Yes, thank you. And... OH! I need the phone number to a real estate agent. Yes. One that knows English a little better than you. Shit! I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Yes, and I'm sorry, Sir. Yes. No. Yes. Thank you. Bye."

"Shit! I thought hotel staff were supposed to be service-minded and nice?!" I mumbled to myself. Then I turned towards the kids, and found Annie laying on the floor where I'd left her. But when I turned to Applehead, I only saw an empty chair and a belt.

Shit! Why did you turn your back towards him?! Why?!

I jolted to the bathroom to see if he was there but of course, he wasn't. And just when I was about to check under the bed, I saw that the door to our room was open. He had gone out. But when I glanced down the hall both ways, I couldn't see anyone.

Jesus, Mary and Edward! He can be everywhere! Even outside, if he took the elevator down. Find him, Gail! On the other hand... It would've been great to have a couple of hours... What are you thinking?! He's your damn husband, dammit! Find him!

I grabbed Annie, rushed to the elevator and pushed the button feverishly. But just as it was on its way up, I heard something that sounded like shouting. It had to be him. He'd probably caused a lot of mess, and embarrassed both himself and us, and probably people around too. All worst case scenarios I could think of played fast forward in my head, while I walked towards the sound. But it wasn't shouting. Or... That too. It was mostly squealing and singing.

"Applehead?" I called, when I found out that it came from the staircase.

"Yes, mommy?" he answered, and laughed when he heard his echo. Then he sang a little, then laughed again, and I sighed so heavily I felt like all the air left my body like a punctured balloon.

"Applehead? Can you come up here?" I asked as nicely as I could.

"But mommy, this was so f..."

"Don't call me mommy when people can hear!" I hissed, walked down towards him and grabbed his hand.