Ch. 30: Almost

We got kicked out...

And even though we begged to stay at least another night, they refused, and gave us one hour to pack our stuff and leave. So, there we were, wandering in the streets. Me, with Annie on my arm and a large bag over my shoulder, and Michaela, pulling a suitcase and pushing the baby carriage that was jam-packed with the rest of our stuff.

"What do we do now, smartass?" I asked, sourly.

"Any more secret dreams you want to live out?"

She scowled at me, just as pissed at me, as I was at her, and we kept walking in silence. It felt so incredibly demotivating to wander around without a destination, that I could scream! And it didn't help that Annie already was screaming. She didn't get to eat properly before we literally were shoved out on the street, and she was now both hungry and tired. So eventually, I snapped.

"Look, this isn't working. Not even a little! If you don't find us a place to stay, then I don't know what to do. We're in a foreign country, and they're speaking a language I don't understand. And the only one I've managed to have a conversation with here, is the cashier at the grocery store outside the motel, because she knows English. And that place is closed now, so she can't help me. So, I'm literally stuck with you, and your friggin goldpants, which I honestly don't think you should wear in public, unless you've got a whole entourage of bodyguards around you, because women are literally gonna tear you to shreds, and probably men too. And now your daughter is hungry and tired, and I am about as fed up with this as you are with wearing plane shirts! Talk to someone! That man over there, for instance?"

I pointed at a random bypasser that gave me a harsh look in return.

"Ask if he's got somewhere to crash. Or knows someone that knows someone, that knows someone, that do. And I don't really care if it's just a goddamn manger, like Jesus, Mary and Joseph had!"

I stopped talking for a short moment, before I felt the need to add;

"No, actually I do care! We're not staying in a manger! Or a tent! Or even a caravan! We've got a child, for shit's sake!"

I glared at Michaela, who surprisingly had a huge grin on her face.

"You really think so?"

I blinked my eyes in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"They'd love the goldpants that much?"

Count to ten, Gail! No, trash that. Count to seven hundred and fifty three and a half! Quick!

"Out of everything I just told you, that was what you heard?! Well, fuck me sideways! I'm married to the most shallow husband ever existed!! Because that's what you are, Michaela! You make me feel like a lesbian, having to call you a female all the time. You are as man as it gets! Do you hear me?! You demonstrated it to the fullest a couple of hours ago, remember?! And it was your dick that led us to this. Your dick and those... Those pants!"

Her smirk slowly disappeared, and she started walking again.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

She mumbled something, but kept on walking.

"Hey!! Where are you going?!"

"To find a place to stay, what do you think?!"

"Oh? Oh! That's! That's good! About time!"

I stomped down the streets after her like a defiant kid, and noticed she led us in the direction of the pub she was talking about earlier. And I groaned loudly.

"Are you freaking kidding me?! How can you think about performing in a moment like this?! You haven't listened to anything I've said, have you? You know what?! I've had enough of th..."

"Will you calm the fuck down, Gail?! I'm getting us a place to stay. God, you're such a drama queen, you should've gotten an Emmy!"

I gasped.

"Me?! I'm the drama queen of us?! You must be out of your friggin..."

But she'd already disappeared into the pub, leaving me awkwardly standing in the street with Annie and all our stuff.

"...mind," I finished, feeling all of my anger gradually get replaced by frustration and sadness. I gently rocked Annie, who was about to cry again, and honestly, I was too.

"Gail? Are you coming?"

"W-what? Into the pub?!"

But instead of answering, Michaela picked up the suitcase, and took it, and the baby carriage up a stair behind the bar, and into a room. It was surprisingly cosy, and actually bigger than the motel room we had been staying the last couple of weeks. But before I managed to say or do anything, Michaela embraced me from the behind.

"I'm sorry, Gail. I didn't mean to upset you. Is this place okay? He owner said we could stay here for as long as we need, if I continue performing in the weekends. And we..."

The rest of what she said drowned in a record scratch.

Breathe Gail! Don't freak out. Annie needs you to be calm. Just... Prepare yourself to be kicked out of here any day, because who knows how long Michaela is gonna stay? Maybe tomorrow, she'll be replaced by Geeksy or, God forbid, Mr. Jackson. And you know it's more likely that you suddenly start speaking French, than either of them will perform the way Michaela does.

I sighed and forced myself to relax. At least she was here right now. And to feel her arms around me like this, made it easy to sense a bit of Michael in there too.

"It's fine. This is a great place. Thank you. And I'm sorry too. It's just that..."

"It's okay. No need to apologize. Now sit down and give Annie something to eat, and me, something nice to look at."

I raised my eyebrows, and turned to look at her naughty smirk.

"M-mr. Jackson...?"

"What?! Look, I'm trying to comprehend that I'm a man and all, but I'm not ready to be called 'Mr' just yet."

I took a sigh of relief.

"O-okay. That's... Good. I just... I thought you..."

"That I didn't secretly admire your full breasts, and envy this little one that she can suck on them all she wants? Gotta think twice, lady."

She stroke Annie over her soft, dark curls, and winked at me. And I got embarrassed by the fact that she openly admitted that she had secretly ogled at my breasts, and I blushed big time. But then she did something that left me completely stunned. She leaned in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. She'd never done that before. With Michaela, there was no kissing. Period. But now...?

"I... I like you, Gail."

Now it was her time to blush, and she looked down and bit her lip. Then she looked back up again, and gave me a half smile.

Holy cow! What just happened there? Was she...? She confessed to liking you Gail! And... And she... Kissed you!

"I... I like you too, Michaela."

What?! No! You love her! No. Him... Or... All the different aspects of this complicated man in front of you. Well. Except from Don Juan... He...

Michaela leaned forward again, and this time our kiss lasted a little longer, and filled me with all sorts of emotions. But then Annie grabbed a string of Michaela's loose hanging curls, and pulled so hard that Michaela shrieked out loud.

"Goddamn it! Control your little monster!"

Then she giggled warmly, and sat down next to us, while I breastfed Annie. And all the time, she had her hand resting around my shoulders.

She likes me.