Ch. 13: Unfiltered

*

*

2nd place under 'Moonwalker', together with two of my other stories on 1st and 3rd! That's something that makes me really, really grateful. Thank you for sticking around and reading my work. I appreciate each and every one of you, even if I don't get around to answer all your comments.

A big thank you to all, and hugs to those who wants! 🤗💖🤗💖🤗

************************************

We got picked up by a fishing boat, that brought us to safe land. And Joe and the Mexican thanked the three fishermen time and time again. I, on the other hand, was silent as a grave. The shock of what might becoming a reality, startled me to the point that I had to sit down and fold my arms around my legs, to keep from shaking.

You can't be preggo, Gail. You're no mother material. Before the kid is one year old, it's gonna walk around cursing like a drunken pirate, with a bottle in it's hand. Milk bottle, but still...
"Ahh, fo fucks sake, mummy! Gimme dat damn pacifier!!!"

I started laughing when it occurred to me just how vividly I could picture this, and the feeling of blinding anxiety gradually faded into a more relaxed empty disbelief.

What now?

Joe, being the self proclaimed gentleman he is, helped he from the boat to the quay safely, but managed to trip on a piled up rope and fell, and not only on the ground. Oh no! He had to do it the Joe way; with the worst thinkable outcome... Ever. He fell between the quay and the boat!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" I screamed, throwing myself after him, only to fall on my knees, grasping into thin air, while his gruesome scream drowned in the noise from the motor of the boat, and the curling waves.

GAIL!!! You... He's... He's dead! He just got crushed between the boat and the quay right in front of your eyes! You lost him! You lost... Michael...! Holy God, no...!! Please don't say... Mr. Jackson... You can't live without him! You need him!

"JOOOOE!!!" I screamed in desperation from the top of my lungs, and the Mexican came running to help me up. There was shouting from the fishermen around us, and moments later the motor was shut off. But besides the clucking of the waves there was only silence. And seagulls.

I screamed into the Mexican's chest, and hit his shoulder repeatedly, but he kept shielding me from seeing what we all knew the outcome of. My poor Joe... My unbelievably stupid husband!!! And he didn't even know he was married to me, because I hadn't had the time to tell him yet!

And now, it's too late, Gail...

I heard the sound of people jumping into the water, while they were giving each other commands I didn't understand, trying to locate Joe. I was sobbing my entire heart out, while the Mexican stroke my back until his intense body odour made me bend over and vomit again. Then he stroked my shoulder instead, from a little distance.