Ch. 9: On the run... Again

Despite being up most of the night, we were up early enough to have breakfast served as usual at the B&B. Both of us were giggling and smiling like fools, and neither of us managed to keep our hands off each other, and discreetly touched, kissed and hugged, until it was time to go. We'd already decided to stay another night, so we paid, and left our depressingly few belongings in our room. And Michael cracked up in fits of laughter when he heard our cover names; Bonnie and Clyde.

Now, we had picked up a microwave each, and headed for a new area of houses, and Michael kept shaking his head over how unbelievable insane our situation was. I couldn't agree more... But despite a little more troubles than yesterday, since Michael suddenly forgot most of his Spanish, and I only remembered half of what I'd learned, we actually managed to sell two more microwaves.

"I drove the truck here?! Are you completely out of your mind?! I don't know how to drive a truck! I'm really not good at driving cars at all, to be honest."

I shrugged and tried to hide a smirk.

"Well, you did, and now, here we are. But I don't think we should use it anymore, though. It's kinda hard to hide it."

Both of us giggled. But as we were approaching the truck once again, Michael stopped us in our tracks.

"What is it?" I asked, and frowned when he put his index finger on his mouth to silence me. He pulled me behind the trunk of a large tree, and signed for me to follow his gaze. And there, right next to the truck, was a black sedan with large, white letters on it, screaming at us:

'POLICIA FEDERAL'

"Cops!" we whispered almost simultaneously, and our eyes followed the two officers as they slowly walked around the front of the truck, to the opposite side of us. And as soon as they were out of sight, we ran as fast as we could back to the B&B. There we picked up our stuff, left the room key on the coffee table, and got out of there.

"Where are we heading?" I asked, and Michael snorted.

"You're asking me?! I don't even know where we are yet! I think I saw a road sign yesterday pointing towards Cide Vallet?"

"Ciudad Valles," I corrected and nodded. "Yeah, that's the closest city. And we can go from there to Mexico City, and drown in the masses for a while."

"Sounds like a plan. But I don't think we should stay very long anywhere, because they're clearly on to us. And we're probably already in their system as wanted suspects, so we need to lay low. Really low."

We exchanged looks of determination and prepared ourselves for the unexpected. But we most certainly didn't dare to take a cab or jump on a bus, so we started to search for a car instead. And after barely half an hour, we found a Buick, and we didn't even have to break into it, because the doors were unlocked and the keys 'hidden' on top of the sun visor. Great!! Great...

Another car theft... I can't believe what became of you, Gail. You should be ashamed of yourself. Oh, what are you talking about? Your ability to feel shame doesn't even work anymore.

But shame or not. We were back on the road, heading for destination unknown.

******

"Your turn to drive," I said as we pulled into a gas station to fuel. I noticed Michael was fidgeting with the air conditioner, and narrowed my eyebrows when he started talking to himself.

"Are you alright?" I asked, but he didn't answer. Instead, he started pushing the other buttons on the front panel, and also the GPS.

"We should disconnect the Global Position System to avoid getting tracked. It's only 4,67% chance that they will do it, but if they do, we'll be under arrest in about fifty two minutes, according to the nearest Police station and the current traffic."