Ch. 25: Are you okay?

It felt like hours, the minutes I was waiting for the three men to come, and contractions came and went. But I managed to waddle a couple of hundred yards closer to the farm, just by counting which tree trunks I could hang on to before another contraction would hit me with full force. And words couldn't even explain the relief I felt when I could rest against Emanuel's strong chest and I heard Ennio's safe voice, while he patted my back.

"Tranquila, estara todo bien, pequenaja."

He had grown to be a father figure to me; a lot more than my own, totally absent, father had ever been, and I think he saw me as the daughter he never had. And since Michael wasn't here right now, I automatically searched for Ennio's support to calm myself instead. I just couldn't deal with Joe's immaturity in my state. Still, I kept him within arms reach, because the need to have him close to me was more intense than ever.

"Are you alright, Missy?"

"Never been better," I breathed, halfway through another wave of pain.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" he asked worriedly.

"Yeah. We can trade place."

He frowned.

"You mean...? But that's not possible...!"

"You don't say..."

But just after the contraction was over, Ennio and Emanuel lifted me up between them, and I instinctively screamed out, since I wasn't prepared.

"Relax. We're gonna take you back to the house," Emanuel said.

"Oh... I thought we were going downtown shopping."

He giggled loudly. He had learned to know my sarcasm by now, and clearly enjoyed it too.

"Shopping it is."

"Yes! Sexy lingerie! Because I feel sooo hot like this."

Poor Joe looked slightly shocked, and I rolled my eyes at him, as Ennio and Emanuel started walking. But I felt so bad for Ennio's bad back, that I stopped them.

"Please... Ennio shouldn't do this. I can walk," I said, not really believing myself. I'd already tried that, and with the speed I'd been holding, it would take about a week and a half to get back to the house. But Emanuel didn't care what I said. Even though I didn't see his face, since he was behind me while Ennio carried my feet, I could clearly picture the look of demurral he had on his face.

"Yeah, right. It's either him, or your little friend over there."

He hinted to Joe, who were fiddling with the buttons of his shirt, nervous as fuck. And the thought of Joe tripping and make us all fall to the ground, made me purse my lips together.

Time to shut up, Gail. You know they're right. And now... Oh, no... Here we go agaaaaaaaiiiiin...!!!

The contractions were getting so strong now, that Ennio and Emanuel had to put me down each time. And I immediately grabbed on to Joe, even though he wasn't especially comfortable as gripping pole, while I was panting like mad. But he didn't object, and gradually he got used to it, and started stroking my back, after Ennio had shown him where it was best. And not very long after, I was carefully put down on the squeaky bed in Emanuel's room.

"So..." Emanuel started.
"I guess, no hospital this time either?"

I shook my head in agony, trying to let my eyes show what I thought about that idea.

"And... No doctor, either?"

"Noooooooooooooh," I groaned.

"The vet, then."