Ch. 29: Golden opportunity

"Gail!" Michaela shouted, almost before she had opened the door to the motel room. Her hands were filled with shopping bags, that she dropped to the floor with a loud thud, and I had to shush her, since Annie was taking a nap. Michaela had been out in the streets dancing, something that had become kind of a habit by now, and she loved every second of it. And I didn't complain at all. She was happy, I was happy, and it was also a great income for us to get through the days.

"You will not believe what happened today!" she exclaimed with dramatic eagerness, and dumped down next to me on the bed.

"You know the bar on the south side of the mainstreet? Close to where I use to dance?"

I thought for a moment, and vaguely remembered the place she was talking about. I nodded.

"Guess what! I've been asked to perform there this weekend. Three nights in a row! Thursday, Friday and Saturday. How cool is that?!"

My eyes went large and a great smile erupted in my face.

"Wow! That's amazing, Michaela!"

"Diva," she corrected.
"My stage name is Diva. Divinity in Motion, remember?"

How could you possibly forget that, Gail...?

And then she continued.

"See these bags?"

"Uhm... Yeah?"

"That's my performance outfit! Well, two, actually. Because I can't be juggling around like a farmer, if I'm gonna go on stage and make an impression. And I..."

"Woah, woah! Rewind a little. You spent our money on shopping clothes?! You know we need to save up as much as we can, to get our own place. We can't afford to waste it all on clothes!"

I frowned in irritation, but at the same time I felt a bit bad for doing that, since she was the one who worked for the money. And she worked really hard too.

"I know that! But this job brings in quite a lot of money. And if things go well, I will continue to work there every weekend. So I bought this..."

She started to pull up a quite extraordinary piece of clothing, from her bags.

"...jacket. And one of these..."

She held up a golden belt, and a jacket made of this indescribable, iridescent material, something I'd surely never seen before.

"That's gonna lay across like this."

She spread the jacket out on the bed so I could see properly, and placed the belt across the chest.

"And these pants... I think those are the greatest of all. Just look! Fit for a Queen, huh?"

Her big, brown eyes were sparkling, almost like the jacket, and I had to smile at her childish excitement, and the fact that she called herself a Queen. But then my jaw fell slack, and my mouth was agape, as I watched her pull up a pair of golden pants, just like the ones she'd talked about earlier. And I thought it was just a silly joke?! But then I frowned again.

"That's... Uhm. Those are great and all, but... Are you...? Like... No, offence, but... They don't fit very well together...?"

"Of course not, silly. These are two different outfits. The jacket goes with one of my black slacks, and that one, with a plain, white t-shirt."
She pointed at the goldpants, before she placed her hands on her hips, triumphantly.

"Now, what do you think?"
But she cut herself off.

"WAIT! Don't answer that! You need to see for yourself. Just... Sit tight, and I'll be right back."