Ch. 14

After a long time shopping, Brian and I finally got back to my place with a whole trunk full and back seat full of groceries. I was serious about my Thanksgiving cooking and baking. I wanted to prove to my family and friends that I could do this. Even though they knew I had a skill for such things.

Since Sal was at the house babysitting the dogs, he helped us unload my car. Let's just say it was more than five trips. We all pitched in to put away all the necessary things for my busy work. I thanked both Brian and Sal for helping me out. I gave Brian a beer and Sal a tea. They settled on the stools of the kitchen island as I started my recipe for pumpkin roll.

"So, how many desserts are you making?" Sal asked.

"Lots." I replied.

"That includes what?" Brian asked.

I sighed as I thought of my list. "Let's see...pumpkin rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, blueberry pie, cookies, fudge, coconut cookies, peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge balls..." I paused, "...I think that's about it."

Both Brian and Sal's jaws were hung open. They were both in disbelief.

"Don't forget I'm also roasting turkey, making sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, mixed vegetables, gravy, cranberry sauce, ham, noodle salads-"

"I think we get it." Brian interrupted with a small chuckle.

"So yeah, I'm going to be busy." I said with a small smile.

"I should make something for you. Y'know, so you don't have to make everything. I cook it at home and bring it on Thanksgiving." Sal said.

I looked at him in disbelief. "You would cook something, for me, for Thanksgiving?"

"Do you even know how to cook?" Brian asked with a chuckle.

Sal defended himself. "Yes I do know how to cook! I make myself food all the time."

"Yeah, but when you had that girlfriend obviously she didn't cook well..." Brian mumbled as he brought the bottle to his lips.

I let out a stifled chuckle. Sal just glared at his friend, not taking the joke. Brian smiled at me, agreeing with my laughter.

"That wasn't funny." Sal said with a straight face.

"Well obviously it was if Addison is chuckling over here." Brian motioned towards me with his bottle.

Sal looked at me. "Really?"

"I'm sorry, I won't do it again." I apologized.

"It's okay." Sal said with a flicker of love flash in his eyes.

"Why did you even go out with her?" Brian asked.

Sal scoffed. "Why are you so harsh? You never gave her a chance."

"I gave you a chance and you spat on it like it was nothing." I mumbled.

Brian looked up at me with sympathy. Obviously he heard me. I didn't mean for anyone to hear me.

"Sal, she's wasn't good for you." Brian said.

"I think she was fine." Sal responded with a shrug.

I started to turn to start my raspberry jelly for one of the rolls. I wasn't going to put any words on their argument, but I did pay attention to what they were saying.

"Sal, have you gone out of your mind?" Brian asked.

"No, no I haven't. In fact, I think I'm doing at lot better than before." Sal responded.