Ch. 22

"What did you get Brian for Christmas?" James asked as we entered FYE.

"A signed Elvis Presley poster." I replied, heading straight to the stack of records for sale.

"Oh man! He's going to love that! How am I supposed to tip that?" James asked, running his hand over his head.

"Get him some Rick and Morty toys, he'll love that." I shrugged.

James dropped his hands. "Are you okay?"

I looked at James with a look of question. "I'm great! Why do you ask?"

"You seem like you want to move on with Brian." James said. "Like, when we are discussing about it. You seem to want to rush through it."

"No, I don't want to. I'm totally fine!" I reassured.

"Are you sure?" James placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm here now if you want to talk."

"I'm fine." I said with a chuckle. "Just things aren't going as planned, that's all."

"With you and Brian?" James asked lowly.

"Brian and I have some rough patches at the moment." I said. "I don't really like discussing it."

James dropped his hand from my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it." I said.

James looked like he regretted to ask. But that wasn't his fault, it was mine. So I flashed him a big smile, which in return I got one back. I searched through the records before I pulled out a ABBA record. I was in love.

"Look at this Murray," I passed it to James. "This looks like it would be a good purchase."

"You like ABBA?" James asked examining the record.

"Love ABBA. But, I do really like the band that's out now called Panic! At The Disco. They have good music." I said looking through the other records.

"Why am I not surprised?" James asked with a small laugh.

James handed me back the record. I took a last look at it before putting it back with the others. We moved away from there and walked around the store, picking up and debating what would be good for Brian. That's why were here, for Brian.

James picked up a few Rick and Morty plushies with some cool Doctor Who collectibles. I picked out a nice Family Guy shirt that I can wear to bed. Then last minute, I took the ABBA record for Sal. I knew he would enjoy that.

James and I had at least four-five bags each when we left the mall. I drove him back to his home, thanking him for the nice night out. Even though I don't hang out with James a lot, I still love being around him. He's always so positive and can make anyone happy. I wondered why he didn't have a girlfriend yet. But that was another thought for another time. For now, I had to get ready for my last time out. With Sal.

>><<

I shoved my hands into my coat pockets as the wind started to blow the hairs falling from my beanie in every which way. My boots crunched underneath me as I was going to meet up with Sal.

The night was very peaceful and calm. The sky was already bringing stars into life. The moon was shining bright across the sky. Light flurries of snow filled the air as Jack Frost nipped my nose. But the night was not dark, for the illuminating lights of New York City brought the city to life. People managed to hang up Christmas lights to make the city more festive. The poll was wrapped with fake pine with red bows on it. New York was definitely pretty in its own way.

As I neared my destination, I spotted Sal looking down at his phone against the rail of the open rink. I kept my eyes on him the whole time. He had his dark green beanie on, his hair poking out from underneath with those glasses that made him so sexy. His beard was kind of messy as it rested underneath a scarf. He had his black coat on with gloves, holes on the fingers. Then he just had a jean on with those stylish sneakers.

I felt underdressed. Even though I pretty much wore the same thing as Sal, he made me feel like I was less. His style was always perfect. Mine seemed to be shit, because of how well he matched his clothes. But that didn't bother me, because I knew it would come in handy. Sal knew his stuff.

As I got closer, Sal lifted his head up. His eyes landed on me, then his lips turned up. I gave him a small wave as I flashed him a bright smile. He gave me a wave back as he dug his phone into his pocket. When I got to him, Sal immediately pulled me into an embrace.

"Glad you could make it." Sal said to me.

"Me too." I replied.

When we parted, Sal still had that smile spread across his face. He seemed genuinely happy I could make it, and I was too.

"Ready to skate?" Sal asked.

"You know it." I replied.

>><<

Sal and I headed over to a bench with our skates in our hands. We sat down next to each other and started to put them on. Sal, who used to play hockey when he was younger, easily tied his skates on. I, on the other hand, was having a hard time tightening them to fit comfortably. Sal saw me struggle as he finished his last night knot.

"Do you need help?" Sal asked with a small chuckle.

"No, no. I think I will be fine." I replied biting my tongue.

I could feel Sal's eyes on me as I tied my knot. When I was finished, I realized my skates were too loose. I groaned in frustration.

"These stupid things." I mumbled untying my laces.

"Are you sure you don't need help?" Sal asked. I could tell he was trying to hold back his laughter.

"Fine! Yes, I need help." I said in frustration.

Sal got up then bent down in front of me. My foot rested on his propped up knee as he laced up my skates. Sal was so experienced in this. I watched in amazement when he tied them together. By the time I knew it, Sal was already finished.

"Done." Sal said.

Our eyes connected. I saw the corner of his lips turn up. I smiled back at him.

"Thank you." I said.

"Anything for you." Sal replied with a wink.

I almost about kissed him...