Ch. 42

"Fuck!" I yelled, beads of sweat pouring down my face.

"You're almost done, just keep pushing!" Sal encouraged.

"I just want the damn thing out of me!" I yelled back.

...

Let me retrace my steps. Sal, Joe, Brian, James, Bessy and I were all at our house playing board games for the night. We were playing a round of Apples to Apples, trying to make the mood light since New Years was not a hit. So far Bessy was winning with five green cards. I only had two, James had one, Brian had three, Joe had two, and Sal had none.

"Come on, my card was better than that!" Sal whined.

"Well, I didn't think it was good enough." James snickered.

"I could hit you." Sal said bluntly, daggers shooting at his best friend.

"Guys, stop worrying. We still have a few rounds to go." Brian said.

"I don't even get a chance because it's my fucking turn!" Sal groaned, picking up a green card. "Strange."

I placed down a card, and so did everyone else. Sal picked up the five red cards in front of him then laid them down.

"Strange. Adolf Hitler, bats, kissing cousins, same sex marriage, and the news." Sal sucked in some air. "These are pretty tough."

"Who our down kissing cousins?" Joe asked with a laugh.

"We can't say Joey!" I said, a smile hard on my face.

"I just want to know!" Joe playfully argued.

"I'm going with same sex marriage." Sal said, pushing the card up. "Who put it?"

"That would be mine!" I raised my hand.

"What the hell, you didn't pick Adolf Hitler?!" James whimpered.

"He didn't even pick kissing cousins!" Brian argued.

"You're the one who put kissing cousins?!" Joe asked, slapping Brian's arm.

"Well it's better than fucking bats!" Brian laughed.

"I had nothing better!" Joe argued back.

"Okay, okay, calm down. It's my turn now." I said picking up a green card. "Fat and Sassy!"

Everyone fell into a fit of laughter. "Does anyone have Sal in their pile?!" Brian joked.

"Fuck you man." Sal laughed.

Soon enough, I got five red cards. I piled them up and started reading them aloud. "Alright, Tommy Lee Jones, African Americans, Donald Trump, ministers, and the person to your left."

I looked to the left of me and sure enough, Sal was right there. Sal eyed down the card then caught my glare. I bit my lip to contain my laughter while Sal blew up.

"Who the hell put down the person to your left! What the hell is that supposed to mean! That's an awful card!" Sal erupted.

"You know Sal, you are at and sassy." James agreed with a laugh.

"You guys are awful. Hate this game." Sal groaned, leaning back in the couch.

I laughed as I reread the cards again. None of them really stuck out to me, so I had nothing to really pick. I flipped over the ones I didn't like, causing people to slap on the table. It was a debate between African Americans and the person to your left. Though, as soon as I was about to pick, I felt water drip down my leg, then right after a sharp pain in my abdomen. Bessy and Joe noticed right away and ran to my side.