Temptress

The ballroom of his hotel was decorated in gold and white, the favorite color combination of his mother. Emma Starr was surrounded by her friends, all of them middle-aged women who were being loud and having the time of their lives. It looked like they had one glass too many but he wouldn't question it. The last thing he wanted was to get eaten alive by those women. He sipped from his amber colored drink, needing the alcohol to get through this night. His brother joined him for a drink, Noah seemed quite amused by the scene. Middle-aged women behaving like they were teenagers again. It was amusing but also intimidating. He couldn't quite look at the scene the same way as his brother. His brother was happily married with three children. Those women didn't bother with Noah. He, however, always needed to listen to those women brag about their daughters, nieces or cousins. They were like vultures trying to get him to marry someone close to them so they could enjoy the benefits of being close to the Starr family. It was horrible so he couldn't laugh his ass off at the sight of those women behaving like idiots.

"Should we cut her off?" Noah asked, sipping his bourbon.

Lucian gestured to the loud women, grinning at his brother, "After you."

Noah glanced at him, the smile which had been plastered across his face and showing off his dimples dropped instantly. The blue eyes no longer gleaming with amusement. Lucian tried to hide his smile by sipping his bourbon.

"I rather not," Noah mumbled.

Lucian flashed his brother a mocking smile, "Oh, I see. You were okay with throwing me in front of the wolves. Good to know, brother."

Noah chuckled, "Aren't you the bachelor they're all chasing? You should enjoy the attention more."

Lucian grunted, "You know me better than that." He finished his drink, glancing at his watch. The luxurious watch which was gleaming in the lighting caught his brother's attention. Noah grabbed his wrist and observed the new watch he bought, "Are you collecting these or what?"

Lucian shrugged, "Some people collect cars I collect watches."

"Others collect wine." He let go of Lucian's wrist and nodded toward their mother, "Speaking of which I think that giant watch of yours alerted all the women surrounding you." Noah grabbed his empty crystal tumbler, "I'll grab us another drink."

His brother was a huge jerk, he'd get back at that man later. Noah forgot that as CEO he had a lot of reach within their company. Come Monday Noah would regret trying to make fun of him and throw him in front of the wolves like that. Brothers were supposed to have each other's back. A charming smile which he practiced often slipped into place as he watched his mother and one of her friends approach them. They were giggly and loud, definitely behaving like drunk teens. He fake smile widened.

"Lucian, this is my friend Ellen Pratt."

The overly sweet smiles thrown his way said it all. This wasn't his mother introducing her precious friend to him. His mother was supporting this. He mentally sighed. His eyes scanned the crowded ballroom. He was looking for all the exit. He knew it by heart but he was making sure no one was blocking his escape route. His eyes landed on his brother who stood by the bar, holding his glass up in mock kindness. Fucking Noah was getting it come Monday. He flickered his eyes to his mother and her friend Ellen.

"Ellen, nice to meet you."

The woman who was dressed in a black dress which was decorated with golden flowers held her hand out to him. Lucian didn't want to be rude so he shook hands with her.

"Nice to finally meet you." She kept her voice low, speaking to him in a gentle tone which was supposed to feign kindness. He knew better, "Your mom has told me all about you." She placed her hand on his arm, "It was so nice of you to commit to your family business so your brother can focus on his family."