Plans for Christmas

Gradually Scarlett became her cheerful old self. It brought a smile on Lucian's face seeing her like that. It was almost like that night didn't happen. But it was buried deep within his mind. He could never forget the look he saw on her face.

He never wanted to see that frightened look on her face again.

It was nearing the end of the week but also Christmas. He was dreading getting the phone call from his mother. He didn't know how to handle it. He would attend her Christmas dinner, there was no doubt about that. But he wasn't sure if he should invite Scarlett.

It was like making a statement that they had a future together. Marriage wasn't something he wanted to think about just yet. They weren't even officially dating yet. That was just a little too ambitious even for his liking.

Noah and Michael expected to see her there though, they made that clear.

He was about to leave his office for an update meeting about the Christmas party when his phone rang. It was his mother. No doubt she called about the Christmas dinner she'd throw. Scarlett came walking into his office to remind him of his meeting. She raised an eyebrow when he held his finger up and answered his phone.

"Mom, give me a minute, okay?"

He didn't wait for an answer and flickered his eyes to Scarlett, "Can you attend the meeting on my behalf? Note down what you think is important for me to know. I'll join you shortly. I just need to take this call."

Scarlett looked dazed for only a split second and then nodded, "I got this, take your time." She walked out of his office and closed the door behind her to give him some privacy.

He sat down in his chair and focused on his conversation with his mother, "Mom, you there?"

"She really does work as your assistant." His mother concluded.

"You thought I made that up?" He asked her curiously.

His mother hesitated but did answer him after a while, "I assumed you made the whole thing up."

The relationship and the backstory. To be fair he did makeup being in a relationship with Scarlett, however, the woman did work as his assistant. That part was most definitely the truth. It was what made things so complicated for him even though it wasn't that complicated at all.

He just needed to get over it. Noah and Michael did that without hesitation.

"Well, now you're proven otherwise." He stared at his laptop screen, watching his inbox fill up with tons of emails, "How are you, mom?" He asked changing the conversation so he didn't have to feel guilty about the half lie.

"Good but busy, the Christmas party is coming up. I hope you and your girlfriend can join us."

His mother also expected Scarlett to be there. If Scarlett demanded to have another day off in the week he couldn't provide her that. He hoped she would join him regardless, otherwise, he needed to come up with an excuse.

It was Christmas he could come up with tons of excuses as to why his so-called girlfriend was occupied. But he would like it if she was there. She'd make Christmas endurable.

"I will be there, I'll ask Scarlett if she can make it."

"Okay, come around five. I have a whole menu planned out."

He smiled, "Are you going to make us eat ourselves into a food coma?"

"That's the only Christmas I know." His mother joked.