The Ex-Boyfriend

Friday morning Lucian entered his office, his eyes flickering to the empty desk belonging to Scarlett. It was her first day off, she deserved it after dealing with his family. He could manage on his own perfectly fine but he did miss her presence.

Her teasing smiles and suggestive comments, he grew fond of them.

Yet it was also a blessing that Scarlett wasn't around. It gave him privacy he needed when meeting up with his cousin. Michael contacted him, letting him know that he found a few things which he'd be interested in.

He didn't think Michael would actually find something, but he was proven wrong.

Then again Scarlett did show up out of thin air. His previous assistant hired the Goddess of teasing without consulting him. That was unlike Lara which raised a tons of questions. All questions he had about the woman he had an infatuation with would soon be answered.

He hoped.

Closing his office door behind him he made his way to his desk and sat down. He started up his laptop and got some work done before Michael would arrive. He was in the zone, answering almost every email in his inbox when his cousin walked into his office.

Michael greeted him with a massive grin, "Good afternoon dear cousin."

"Time flew by." Lucian muttered, watching Michael settle in.

Michael handed him a flash drive and nodded at his laptop, "Fire it up, I found a thing or two about Miss Archer." Michael was excited about this but at the same time he saw something darker in his cousin's eyes, something he didn't dare to explore yet he had to.

He was doing this behind Scarlett's back but he needed to do it to protect her.

He checked the file on Michael's flash drive known as Scarlett Archer. The first thing he noticed was Scarlett's connection to Lara. Michael leaned forward in his chair and did his thing like he'd normally do. Explain everything and share his thoughts on the subject. He was usually right too.

"Scarlett and Lara went to the same high school together." Michael went through the photos of the women, showing him just how close the women were a few years ago, "They were best friends in high school as you can see from the pictures but apparently lost contact when they went to college."

"So I can assume Lara more or less gave this job to Scarlett."

Michael shrugged, he probably didn't want to state it but was also thinking it.

"I mean it feels that way, doesn't it? Somehow I doubt Lara would just hire Scarlett because you were swamped. She could have mentioned something. Emailed you, called you or whatever. Yet she didn't. She made the decision on her own and then left without a word."

Lucian rolled his eyes. His cousin was always quite dramatic, it didn't exactly happen like that but it was close to it.

"I mean I did see her off and gave her a generous bonus, but I do understand what you're trying to say."

Michael flickered his eyes to him, his eyes narrowed dangerously on him, "If you get what I'm saying why are you still trying to defy me then?"

Lucian's lips twitched, he couldn't laugh at his cousin even though his choice of words were hilarious to him. He didn't try to defy his cousin as Michael stated. He just wanted to make clear that Lara wasn't all that horrible as a person. He was sure the woman had her reasons for more or less giving the job to Scarlett.

They just needed to figure out what that reason was.

"What else do you have for me?"

Michael's gaze softened as he focused back on the laptop. He flipped through some pictures and landed on a Social Media page.