Proper Adults

Michael dropping by late at night during a weekday was never a good sign. His cousin either wanted to do drinks which he couldn't handle all that well or he was going to deliver some bad news. He figured it was the latter right now.

His cousin looked nervous as he sipped his coffee, seated on the couch in front of the TV while he wasn't really watching anything.

Deep down he already knew the answer.

His mouth was dry and swallowing hurt, not to mention how fast his heart was racing. The thought of Scarlett breaking up with him physically hurt him. He had a good thing going and that was about to get ruined.

Yet the little life which would depend on him soon sounded like a blessing too. He or she wasn't planned but he couldn't ever let them know it. It would hurt their feelings probably if they knew for a mere second he wished Scarlett was the mother.

"I've dug deep, took my time but I honestly can say that Dawn is clean."

"No boyfriend hidden in her closet or an ex-lover before me?" He asked, taking a seat beside his cousin.

Michael shook his head, looking quite despondent. He wasn't the one who should feel like this. The one who made a mistake was he and he alone and he needed to man up and take action. He couldn't call Dawn this minute. It was ten in the evening, either she was getting ready for bed or she was already sleeping.

Telling Scarlett about the situation right now didn't seem like a good idea either. Though he felt like he accepted his future he knew he still needed to give it time.

Tomorrow he'd talk to Scarlett and then give Dawn a call for a meet-up. They had things to sort out.

"You are going to become a father soon." Michael tried to lighten the mood, "I mean the mother isn't Scarlett but Dawn is a nice girl too. I bet she won't cause you trouble with this co-parenting thing. Unless you want to marry her of course."

"God no." He knew that came out too fast but it was the truth, "The only woman I want to marry is Scarlett. Even if she breaks up with me I'm not going to run back to Dawn and just settle."

Michael nodded, "That's good."

Glancing down Lucian stared at his coffee, he needed something stronger but he couldn't take it. He'd show up at work like the undead and then Scarlett would be pissed at him again. She wouldn't flat-out state it but her actions were loud enough.

Not literal since she was still professional and wouldn't slam doors on her way out.

But the glares were enough to terrify him, making him shut up and just smile at her in the hope she'd let it go.

"What are you going to do?" Michael asked.

He had a plan, he made that plan just a few seconds ago. Michael could tell him he was an idiot because he wasn't thinking things through. He more or less decided just to talk to Scarlett and then Dawn and then go from there.

That wasn't really a plan.

He did have a goal though and that was being in that kid's life even if Scarlett didn't want any of it. It made him more determined to go through with it.

"I'm going to talk to Scarlett tomorrow." He let Michael know in a firm tone, feeling more confident about his stupid plan already, "It doesn't matter where that is going because honestly, that kid is more important."

"True."

He stared at Michael as if his cousin just grew a second head, "What?"

"That kid needs you more than Scarlett does. If she can't accept it which is in her right then it was nice to share a moment or two with her but you need to focus on making sure that kid has everything they need."

"You are so mature these days, honestly." Lucian was astounded at how much character Michael was showing lately, "I need to stop messing up." He joked.

Michael grinned, "I like this whole mature thing. Maybe I should become a proper adult."

Lucian smiled, "You see the old you would have brushed it off, hating on the mere thought of becoming a proper adult. You'd try and convince me that being an adult is boring and you'll lose your personality."

Michael pointed at him, "Are you still fun?" He asked, "We went out for one night, having drinks and you were basically useless the day after."

Lucian made a face, "That has nothing to do with being boring and everything to do with the fact that I'm not in college anymore. I'm getting older, Mike." He lowered his voice, "And so are you." He muttered, "At our age, it's no longer cool that we get that drunk. Now it's pathetic."

Michael didn't look offended at all, "You're right." He didn't sound it either, "I should get my life together. I guess this will be the perfect opportunity. I'm becoming an uncle and all."

Lucian shook his head, "You're already an uncle."

Michael brushed that off with a wave of his hand, "Yeah, whatever."

He knew Michael was only joking around. It did make him smile, his cousin was serious but hilarious at the same time and he needed that. He spends so much more time with Michael nowadays he was sure Noah would get upset with him.

***

He never felt so nervous in his life before, for a brief moment he considered dropping everything and running off to do something stupid and immature. He didn't though, he got ready for work, putting on his best suit since it was his armor and headed to the office.

Scarlett looked pleased to see him when he walked through the door, a smile spreading across her face. She must have thought everything was back in order which it was not. He didn't want to break her heart, but he had no choice.

This had to be done now.

"Scarlett, could you see me in my office, please?"

She looked confused but nodded, following him into his office and closing the door behind her. He gestured to the empty seat before his desk.

"If you're mad about yesterday, I'm sorry I behaved like that." She sounded cheerful too, "I wasn't in a good mood. There is no need to fire me over it though." She was joking around too.

He hated to do it.

"Please, take a seat." He gestured to the chair before him.

She put her guard up then, all humor leaving her eyes.

"Dawn came to see me a few days ago." It was best to get it over with like ripping off a band-aid kind of thing. He assumed, "Turns out she's pregnant." He could see her put it all together, all color drained from her face as she just stared at him, "It's mine." He added just to make sure she wouldn't get confused over it.

Scarlett nodded, she kept nodding and not saying anything. He got up when she did, but he didn't dare to approach her. He was sure that would be the wrong move right now.

"I see," She started gesturing with to the door, avoiding his eyes completely, "I need to get back to work. So I'm at my desk if you need me." She rushed out as fast as she could.

He sat back down in his chair, slumping back and letting out a tired sigh. He had been doing that a lot right now. Maybe things would start to be less tiring soon because he couldn't keep doing this.