Difficult Conversations

Dinner with the family is what they needed to clear the air. The thought of confronting his mother didn't sit well with him. He knew he wasn't his mother's favorite person at the moment. It started with introducing Scarlett to the family.

Emma didn't like that.

Then Dawn showed up pregnant and he decided to support her in any way he could which Emma didn't like that much either.

Now he'd tell his mother to let go of the wedding planning which he knew she absolutely adored, his mother would come to be very annoyed with him.

Scarlett must have noticed his silent brooding and decided to do something about it. She bumped her hip against his and nodded at the cherry tomatoes he was cutting up. He was slacking on the job, he needed to cut a whole bowl of ripe cherry tomatoes which they'd use for their tuna pasta.

It was a quick and easy recipe so they didn't have to be in the kitchen all day and could focus on the family instead.

The food was still very good and everyone would appreciate it, even the girls.

"Your family will be here in thirty minutes." She reminded me, "You need to step up your game, Starr."

She tried to sound cheerful about it, he could hear the smile in her voice yet when he flickered his eyes to her he could tell how nervous she was. The confident Scarlett who dared to speak her mind wasn't there. They both knew his mother didn't mean anything by it when she tried to take over.

Emma Starr just wanted to plan the perfect wedding fit for the CEO of their hotel business. Her vision, however, was so far off that it would make both Scarlett and him unhappy to even get married.

They needed to be honest with Emma Starr sooner than later.

So he straightened his shoulders and flashed her a smile, "I'm stepping up my game." I assured her, "How is the banana bread coming along?"

Olivia shared her recipe with Scarlett which surprised everyone in the room. She managed to go in great details while Kim proudly nodded along. Kim didn't need to step in once. Olivia was really getting good at cooking and baking.

Apparently, those were not the same and his niece and fiancée got quite upset with him when he brushed it off.

Cooking you could do with a little more feeling apparently. Baking was some sort of science. He didn't argue with them and walked away. Noah told him not to bother and merely nod. Sometimes the best thing to do was to shut up and stay out of it.

"It's coming along." She informed him with a proud smile spread across her face, "It already smells amazing."

He couldn't argue with that either. It did smell pretty good already, the subtle sweet scent was slowly engulfing them.

"Should we serve a salad with it?" Scarlett asked.

"It's good like this but we could make a salad." He glanced around the kitchen, quickly thinking up a salad which would go well with their tuna pasta, "Maybe an apple salad. We'll need an apple, carrots, red onions and some of those walnuts." He nodded to the walnuts she was cutting up for the banana bread.

"We work well in the office and in the kitchen," Scarlett smirked.

"We simply work well together." He said with a lot more confidence.

They finished up the tune pasta and the apple salad before his family arrived. Scarlett managed to slip away to wear something a little fancier than yoga pants. He set the table and lit a few candles. By the time his family arrived the dining room smelled like lavender and soft classical music was playing in the background.