Scarlett's Needs

Hot chocolate was great but what made it better was being together with Scarlett. He shot a glance at the woman sitting beside him in the car. She looked peaceful, a little smile playing on her lips. It made her look like she was glowing. Maybe she was. Because she might be the Goddess of teasing she could also be as sweet as an angel.

He was so fucked.

He cleared his throat when she met his gaze. Her lips widened to a grin, a soft little giggle leaving her lips. He was embarrassed getting caught staring at her. It lasted only a split second but she still saw it. Without warning, she placed her hand on his thigh and kept it there as he drove them to her apartment building.

Soft music was playing in the background, he wasn't sure if it were Christmas tunes or something else. He was too lost in the moment with her. His heart tightened when they reached her apartment building. They weren't even apart yet and he was already missing her presence.

He needed time away from her to reset his system.

She suddenly tensed up, the air between them becoming tenser. When he shot another glance at her he could have sworn he saw fear in her eyes. He followed her gaze and observed the apartment building. He didn't see what she was seeing. There was a guy being dragged out of the building by the security people of her apartment building, but he didn't look too much into it.

"Is something wrong?" He asked quietly.

Her frightened eyes flickered to his face, "N-No everything is fine." She trailed off with a nervous giggle which made him tense up too, "I-I was just thinking that I don't want this day to be over." She spoke fast without taking a breath while her voice sounded shaky, "Would you have dinner with me?" She asked, "I mean we both have to eat, right?"

She wasn't wrong, but he doubted this was about food. He didn't push her, not when she was panicking and begging him with her eyes. She needed him so he smiled and kept on driving, driving past her apartment building.

"Sure, I know a place which serves pretty good Chinese place close by. You up for that?"

"Yes!"

She was excited and accepted his proposal without hesitation. She needed this. He drove them to the Chinese place he knew quite well. It wasn't that crowded like the usual places. He knew the woman who owned the place. She was always so nice to him. He was certain he could manage to grab them a table even when it was nearing dinner time.

When he shot another glance at Scarlett he noticed she had calmed down. He was glad he didn't push her to talk. She'd talk to him when she was ready.

They've built that kind of trust already. She just needed time. He'd be patient and wait.

***

Like he assumed the Chinese lady owning the place was pretty excited to see him. Whenever he could he visited her place and spend a lot of money, of course, she didn't mind giving them a table despite people filling up the place already. They got a table away from the window because he felt like Scarlett needed that right now. She was behaving a bit paranoid. She kept looking around and smiling at him kind of creepily whenever she felt his eyes on her.

She tried to convince him that she was okay but he knew better.

They sat down at their table. He got comfortable, shrugging off his coat. Scarlett did the same. He let her be and reached for the menu. He wasn't that hungry and he couldn't drink. He decided on ordering little dishes they could share. He doubted she could eat a whole meal right now as well.

She needed this distraction.

"You okay with me ordering a little bit of everything?"

She smiled at him, "Yes, please."

He placed the menu down and did as planned. Their food would arrive shortly which gave them time to talk a little. She didn't look ready to share her deep dark secrets with him and that was okay. They could discuss work. His brother or his crazy mother.

Whatever helped her feel better.

"So Noah wants to have a talk with me Monday?"

"Because of the bet?" Scarlett asked her shoulder slumping which told him she wasn't on high alert anymore, "He did a good job with the lobby, but will he really go through with your bet?"

He chuckled, "My brother and cousin are very serious about their bets."

"He's going through with it then." She trailed off, "Well, at least the hotel looks great, right? The smiles on the faces of the guests are worth it."

"I should sell my soul as long as it makes the guests smile?"

She laughed, it sounded genuine and warm. It came from the heart which made him smile as well.

"You're exaggerating, your brother would never do that to you."

He raised an eyebrow at her, "Noah already has you wrapped around your finger."

She leaned forward, "Maybe I have him wrapped around my finger already."

"Sorry, babe but that's just not true." He joked.

Her eyes glittered playfully as she sat down in her seat again. She looked better, she looked more like herself. He was glad they came here. The food was great, he wouldn't be modest about it. It was pricier but when the food was of high quality and the service was outstanding he didn't mind at all spending money on a distraction.

Scarlett was worth it.

The food came in after twenty minutes or so. A lot of small dishes they could share. Scarlett looked excited as she picked up her chopsticks. They went for a healthy green tea which would warm them up as they snacked on the great food.

They discussed their upcoming week, Scarlett had placed her phone down beside her cup as she scrolled through his schedule. The mood between them was good. She spoke without fear in her voice, her eyes were warm again. As she put her phone away again she looked at him, her look a lot more serious which made him sit up straight.

"Thank you." She said quietly, "You didn't have to do this."

"You needed it." He spoke firmly, "I'll always try and help you."

She looked away, looking a bit shy due to his words. He meant it though so he wouldn't take it back even though it made her a bit uncomfortable. She needed to know.

She met his gaze again, a small smile spreading across her face, "I believe you."

"Good, because I meant it."

She nodded, clutching her cup with both hands as she looked away again, "I'll tell you everything." She said quietly, "But not right now." She trailed off, "I'm not ready yet and I don't want to ruin this day." She met his gaze again, "We had a great time today, right?" She looked at him with hopeful eyes. It made his heart hurt.

"We had a great time." He confirmed, "I'll always remember it."

He could have sworn her eyes filled up with tears but she refused to look at him so he couldn't confirm that suspicion. This time as well he held his tongue. Scarlett wanted this day to end on a good note and he'd give that to her.

She'd reach out to him when she was ready and he'd be there for her.