Connecting

Emma Starr despite being a little cautious around Scarlett still threw them a family dinner. He knew the woman had warmed up to his fiancée. His mother could appreciate how Scarlett could be selfless even though the situation between them wasn't ideal. She would never admit that to Scarlett but he could tell by the tone that had changed and the little smiles she flashed his fiancée.

Scarlett was no Kim, she was her own person and his mother started to appreciate it.

They sat at the table, drinking coffee while his mother served them a great apple pie. Vanilla ice cream at the side and topped with lots of caramel. It wasn't healthy but it was damn good. As he glanced at Scarlett he could tell that she appreciated it.

Scarlett met his gaze and smiled.

Noah and Kim sat across them while Lily and Olivia were seated in the living room with their grandfather, playing a board game. They finished their apple pie ages ago.

"Let me take a look at your ring." Kim smirked when he threw her a look, "Lucy was throwing a fit because of it. It needed to be perfect for his future wife." She grinned when Scarlett blushed but still showed off her ring, "It is perfect, isn't it?"

"It is." Scarlett agreed without hesitation even though she looked embarrassed to admit it.

His mother who was taking it all in finally decided to speak up, "You know the first thing you need to do is look for a dress. Your whole wedding will be based on the theme of the dress, at least if you want to make a cohesive thing out of it."

"We will look into it." He brushed her off.

Noah stepped in, "Let them enjoy this moment a little longer, mother. They just got engaged."

"You did keep your promise" Lily called from the living room, making them laugh.

"Are you listening in on our conversation?" Kim asked, amused by the girls who were trying to catch glimpses of their conversation. Clearly, it was more interesting than their board game.

"No!" Lily called back.

"Clearly you are." Noah shook his head at her, "I'm going to check on them. Make sure they don't drive dad mad." He kissed Kim's temple and left the dining table, heading to the living room which was now filled with exciting laughter by the girls.

"He's a good dad," Scarlett whispered.

Kim beamed at her, "That he is. Don't worry uncle Lucy is great with kids too."

That was a sore subject, both Scarlett and his mother fell quiet. Kim looked upset by mentioning it but they couldn't ignore it forever. In a few months, his baby would be here and he did plan on them to be part of this family.

They needed to get used to the idea.

"I mean the baby is going to live with Dawn, that's how she wants it."

"You could ask for custody." His mother threw in.

"I'm not going to do that, she's a good person, mom. Our baby will be happy living with her. I will do what I can."

"If she allows it," Emma whispered.

Scarlett who tensed up beside him sat straight in her chair. He knew the good mood would fade now. She was ready for a fight. His mother wouldn't back down easily. These two would probably always have moments like these simply because they were too similar.

"She will because Dawn does intend for Lucian to be part of their child's life. I don't doubt her for a bit. I mean, sure it's awkward between us right now but it will pass. I'm certain once we get to know each other and had plenty of sundaes we'll be able to fall into a normal routine."