Drinks with Michael

Scarlett confessing to him out of the blue made him run for the hills. Not really, but he didn't know how to respond. Sure, she was important to him. She was the first woman who got under his skin like that. He knew she was his future too.

He was aware of that already, but he wasn't sure if they were at the stage where they could say those words to each other and mean it, really mean it.

He was running scared and Scarlett knew it too.

She looked hurt when he dropped her off at her apartment, gave her a quick kiss and walked off. It wasn't the kind of end she pictured to their evening. He couldn't stay with her though. He needed to clear his mind.

So he found himself at a secluded bar which served expensive drinks and were very picky with the type of customers they let in. His cousin joined him, sighing and shaking his head at him in disappointment.

Michael knew nothing.

"Are we just drinking tonight?" Michael asked, swirling the dark colored liquid around in his tumbler.

Michael was eying him suspiciously, trying to figure out why he had the sudden urge to go to a bar and get wasted. It would only be a matter of time before his cousin put everything together and call him a fucking idiot.

"Scarlett told me she loved me tonight."

Michael nearly let his tumbler fall off the bar. Maybe his cousin wouldn't call him a fucking idiot.

"She what?" His cousin asked.

The look in Michael's eyes was the same look he had when Scarlett confessed her feelings to him.

He sighed, shifting in his chair as he tried to ease some of the weird tension, "She told me she loved me." He repeated, the look of confusion didn't fade in Michael's eyes. If anything he looked even more rattled than a minute ago.

Michael tossed back his drink, gesturing to the bartender he needed another one. The helpful bartender quickly refilled Michael's tumbler and refilled his too.

"Did you say it back?" His cousin asked.

He stared down his drink, feeling embarrassed to admit the mistake he made. His relationship with Scarlett might be ruined, his plans for the future down the drain because he behaved like an idiot.

"No, I didn't. I more or less ran from her."

Michael didn't laugh in his face like he thought his cousin would. Michael looked rather serious, nodding along as if he got it.

"It's happening fast, isn't it? I know I joked about you two starting a family already, but those were just jokes. Scarlett isn't messing around here."

"I don't think she meant to confess out of the blue like that. She told me about Elliot and then just blurted out the words."

Michael nodded, "I get it."

His cousin was very quiet though. His serious look told him that Michael did get it, but whatever opinion he had he kept it to himself.

"Don't move too fast just because Scarlett has you all soft now."

Okay, so Michael didn't keep his opinion to himself. He did invite his cousin out for a drink because he knew Michael would be honest with him. Noah would probably tell him to go with it, his brother was a big softie too nowadays.

Only Michael seemed to be realistic, he needed that.

"I know that." He muttered weakly.

Michael didn't look convinced but he was grateful his cousin didn't comment on that as he continued to speak his mind freely.

"Scarlett is a nice girl but she has a lot of baggage. I suggest you wait a little, make sure Elliot isn't an actual threat."

"You're right." He told his cousin, "I shouldn't move too fast."

Michael's look warmed, his cousin was probably relieved he didn't have to make his point. It was a night to enjoy a drink, not argue about women. Lucian raised his glass to his cousin.

"Thanks for that, now let's just enjoy a drink or two."

"Or three." Michael grinned.

Sure, he'd have a few with Michael, it was the least he could do.

***

At the time it seemed like a good idea to have a few drinks with Michael. He was sure he did enjoy the night at the bar, but currently, his head was pounding and he was feeling like he was dying. He sauntered into his office, hoping he could get an hour to himself.

He did have a meeting or two today, he was grateful he planned them in the afternoon.

What he didn't count on was his assistant who liked to mess with him. For a moment he forgot that he was dating the Goddess of teasing. She entered his office after him, placing a cup of steaming hot coffee on his desk.

He loved coffee, he really did but this morning it made him feel ill.

"Take that away, please." He spoke quietly.

Scarlett smirked, "Water then?" She asked.

"Yes, water seems like the better choice."

He sat down behind his desk, turning on his laptop. He leaned back against his chair and got as comfortable as possible. Scarlett took away his coffee and brought him a glass of water instead. He took the glass from her and downed it as if he hadn't drunk in years.

Scarlett sighed, "So I freaked you out?" She asked.

She kind of did but he didn't want to admit that to her. When talking to Michael he concluded that it wasn't necessarily fear. He needed to wait to make sure their relationship was stable. Also making sure Elliot wouldn't do anything stupid.

There was no rush, was there?

They had time to get to know each other, see if they could truly make each other happy. He wanted a future with her and he was certain she wanted a future with him too. There was no need to jump into it.

A stable relationship is what they should work towards.

Marriage and babies would be next on the agenda.

"You didn't freak me out." He told Scarlett, hoping her feelings wouldn't get hurt, "Listen, you're important to me and I want a long-term relationship with you." Very long term if things would go well between them, "But right now I can't say it back with as much confidence. I want to say it when I truly mean it."

She smiled, "When it comes from the heart?" she asked.

It surprised him that she didn't freak out right now either. She took it well, smiling at him as if she did get it. He was so relieved he didn't ruin anything between them.

"I'll admit that the timing wasn't that great." She trailed off.

He quietly chuckled, "The timing was kind of off." He corrected her.

"I'm glad I didn't freak you out." She admitted to him, "I'm going to get back to work. Let me know if you need anything. Something to eat maybe."

Food didn't sound appealing but he did need to eat.

"Maybe soup?"

She frowned but looked amused at the same time, "Why is that a question? I'll order you something amazing." She made him push back his chair when she approached him. He watched her lean in and smiled when she kissed him, "It's hilarious to see you like this." She whispered to him.

She pulled away and walked to the door, swaying her hips from side to side. She wore a tight dress today, showing off all her curves. She was a sight to behold yet he couldn't fully admire her because he felt like crap.

He'd wait another six months or so before he'd drink like that again with Michael.