Snarky Scarlett

The bomb Dawn dropped last night had Lucian fumbling around. He didn't know how to handle the situation. A lot of people needed to be informed about this, but the last thing he wanted was to stir things up without having the facts.

Dawn was convinced he was the father of her baby and he believed her but deep down something kept nagging at him. He needed to be absolutely sure that he was the father of her baby before he'd ruin his relationship with Scarlett.

Running to Michael it was.

Lucian called Scarlett before he headed out, letting her know he was going to be a little late today. She didn't question him but he could hear the hesitation in her voice. She was aware that he didn't come late into the office without a good reason.

He didn't share that reason with her which had her wondering.

Michael wasn't a morning person, he hoped his cousin would still let him in his apartment and hear him out. He had been relying on Michael more than ever.

Women changed his life forever.

Arriving at Michael's apartment he was pleasantly surprised when his cousin invited him in, looking like he just went to the gym. Michael did have a treadmill at home, maybe he did a morning run and just finished up.

He could learn a thing or two from his cousin.

"Coffee?" Michael asked as he walked to the kitchen.

Lucian followed him, taking a seat at the breakfast bar and watching his cousin prepare the coffee without him evening giving his answer.

He smirked, "Coffee sounds good."

Michael glanced at him, "So to what do I owe this surprise visit? Did Elliot finally showed his true colors?"

He shook his head, "Right now Elliot is the least of my concerns."

Michael didn't like that answer. His cousin narrowed his eyes on him, "You know I'm an impatient man. What's up? Just tell me straight out."

He didn't know how to break the news without freaking out. He needed to be an adult about it though. Michael couldn't help him if he didn't speak up. He sighed, deciding he'd just spit it out.

"Dawn told me she's pregnant, the baby is mine."

"That's what she tells you?" Michael asked.

Lucian's eyebrows rose, his cousin didn't look surprised at all. Michael looked so damn serious he wasn't sure if his cousin processed the news at all. He sure didn't.

"Yes, she told me last night."

Michael glanced at his coffeemaker again, "She's a nice girl but you know very well that we can't exactly trust women in our circle. Some of them tend to lie to either get their fifteen minutes of fame or cash in big."

He wasn't a stranger to those antics. There were people out there who'd sell out to get rich fast. However, he didn't think Dawn was one of those people. She seemed sincere when she broke the news to him. Her story didn't seem like a lie to him.

"Dawn doesn't seem like a person who'd go after money like that."

Michael snorted, "The innocent type of people can have a dark side to them too, you know." He poured them a cup of coffee, handing Lucian his cup, "Why did she wait this long to share the news with you? It seems off to me."

Lucian's eyes lowered to the cup before him, "She says she didn't dare to share the news since she spotted the pictures of me together with Scarlett."

When he met his cousin's gaze he could tell that Michael didn't believe that story at all. His cousin didn't have much trust in people despite being an outgoing person. Michael trusted only his family.

"I'll look into it." Michael told him, "Don't tell anyone before I checked her story."

He was on the same page with Michael here.

He sipped his coffee, "That's why I came to see you." He admitted.

Michael's lips curled up, "Of course that's why you came to see me." His smile dropped as fast as it spread across his face, "Kind of fucked up if Dawn is pregnant with your child. It's Scarlett's wish yet another woman got that wish granted."

Lucian was aware of how fucked up it was. He didn't want to do this to Scarlett but right now they didn't even know if it was true. He wouldn't freak out until he knew the truth. For the time being, he'd bury this news deep.

***

Scarlett was worried, she couldn't hide her worry when he entered his office and she followed after him. She closed the door behind her and looked at him as if he ran over her puppy. That look would be even worse when he'd break the news to her about Dawn.

Michael advised him not to tell her yet.

He knew it was the best plan he had. He sat down behind his desk and flashed her a smile in the hopes of throwing her off. He didn't want to talk to her when he just came from Michael's after asking his cousin to do a little digging on Dawn.

He was afraid he'd tell her about Dawn's situation before anything was established.

"Something the matter?" He asked, trying to make her talk instead.

Scarlett wasn't having it.

"Something the matter?" She asked, sounding offended and looking like it too, "Yes, something is the matter. When my boyfriend doesn't show up at work even though he's a workaholic I worry."

"Something came up."

He knew that wouldn't convince her but he couldn't tell her more. He shouldn't tell her more.

"Something came up?" She asked in that annoyed and offended tone.

He sighed, knowing this was going to take forever.

"Are you going to repeat everything I'm saying?" He asked her, "I needed to see Michael, then I came to the office just like I told you I would. Now if you could do your job this morning as my assistant and not as my girlfriend I'd appreciate it."

She didn't like that either. The anger which flashed through her eyes made him lean back in his chair.

"I'll get right to it, Mr. Starr." She was being sarcastic now, "I'll bring you your coffee and fill you in on your packed schedule today. Then you can back to work because work is your life and without work, you'll life will be over. It's like your oxygen, if there is no work you can't breathe, it's why I was worried about you this morning. Now I know I shouldn't worry about you. You've got things handled."

"Scarlett." He sighed, getting up from his seat.

She threw him a glare, "It's Miss Archer to you right now." She told him in a cold voice which told him she'd still be angry with him by the end of the day.

Sitting down he leaned back and focused on getting some actual work done.

"Fine, Miss Archer, I'll await my coffee and I'll wait patiently for you to join me to go through our busy day."

She didn't like that either. It was hilarious watching her sway her hips from side to side angrily as she left his office. He knew she wanted to slam the door on him but she didn't because she'd always be the perfect employee.

The perfect employee with snarky comments and dirty looks, but he needed to accept that.