The Argument

Scarlett rolled to her side when he brushed his hand gently over her back, trying to wake her without scaring her shitless. She groaned, burying her head underneath her pillow. Her hair was a mess but it was cute in a way to see her undone like that. It was a different experience, sharing a bed with his assistant.

It was awfully easy to settle in beside her.

She made some incoherent noises, he had no idea what she was saying. His lips tugged to a smile, he watched her peek at him from underneath her pillow, looking suspicious of him.

"What time is it?"

"Seven-thirty."

"It's way too early." She grumbled, her eyes took him in, "Why are you dressed like that?" She murmured.

"I'm going for a morning run." He informed her, smirking when she made another grumbled noise, "So I take it you don't want to join me?"

"Definitely not." She murmured, "You're crazy, babe. It's your day off."

He ignored how easily that term of endearment rolled off her tongue. It almost felt like they were dating, they were both getting lost in this game. It was becoming dangerous, he was aware of that yet he didn't want to put an end to it.

"I'll be back in an hour."

She pulled the pillow away from her head and smiled at him, "I'll miss you."

He grabbed her pillow and gave her a light shove with it, "You can't help yourself, can you?" He dropped the pillow on her head and stepped back, "See you in an hour, babe." He made sure to emphasize that with lots of sarcasm to his tone.

Her giggle told him she got it.

He left the bedroom, closing the door behind him to let Scarlett get some more rest. He didn't expect her to join him but it would have been fun. He made his way to the kitchen to grab a glass of water first when he ran into Jenna.

That was odd.

"You're going for a run?" She asked.

The woman looked like she was going on a run too. He had a feeling where this was going. Entering the kitchen he poured himself a glass of water and offered her one too. She took it and drank her water while she eyed him.

"Your girlfriend isn't joining you?" She asked.

"Scarlett should sleep in, she deserves it considering the long hours she works at the office."

Jenna smiled, he could tell she forced it to look sympathetic, "That's nice of you."

He didn't understand how he was being nice to Scarlett to let her sleep in while he went on a run. It was his decision to get some exercise she wasn't obligated to join him. This woman pissed him off and she hadn't said much. He quickly finished his drink and placed the glass in the dishwasher.

"Well, I like to take this time to clear my mind so I'll be going ahead of you."

He couldn't be clearer even if he tried. The woman didn't let him walk away just like that though. He could praise her for her efforts. But to him, it was just annoying.

"Do you mind if I join you? We're both going on a run so-"

He smiled at her, making sure she understood that he was being polite and nothing more. The smile awfully similar to the one she showed him when she mentioned Scarlett. The darkening of her eyes told him that she got the hint.

"I mind, I just want to be alone when I go for a run."

He knew it was harsh to be that forward but he couldn't play the political games he usually played this morning. He didn't care about his mother's friends were upset with his behavior. They weren't his friends. Walking past the woman who was gaping at him like a fish out of the water he headed to the front door and left the beach house quickly. He knew she wouldn't follow him after his firm words but the last thing he wanted was for his mother to stop him and tell him off. He wasn't in the mood for that either.