His Ego

Noah was a cunning man. He disguised it well with charm and warm smiles. Lucian was aware that people loved to flock around Noah because they fell into the trap he set. Kim fell for the man behind the mask. He didn't quite understand what Kim liked about that manipulative personality but she tamed him. He became a family man but sometimes that manipulative personality peeked through. Lucian leaned back in his chair and stared at the phone on his desk. Noah told him to get the conversation out of the way as soon as possible.

Hope for the best is what Noah told him.

The thing about Scarlett was that it could go either way. She never showed her true personality. It was all wrapped up in a seductive gift. Noah and his overly flirty assistant got along the minute they met because they were both people who wore masks. Noah advised him to be honest with Scarlett. His brother was convinced that Scarlett would go along with their plan if they were honest about it. So he had to suck it up and get the conversation out of the way.
He grabbed the phone and called Miss Archer. She answered at the second ring. The woman was quite efficient and not to mention dedicated to her job at only her first day at work. He definitely judged her too harshly that night when he found her in his office pretending to be an evil Bond villain. She was just having fun, trying to mock him for not showing up at the interviews. He could understand why she was upset about it. They were going to work together closely from now on. They had to get to know each other. The weekend away trip would help with that if she agreed to help them.

Help him.

"Could you come to my office, Miss Archer?"

"I'll be right there."

He placed his phone down, his eyebrows raising as he watched the woman enter his office in a record of time.

"Please take a seat, Miss Archer."

She looked unsure but she tried to hide it with confident strides to the chair. She sat down and crossed her legs, the tight skirt she wore riding up and showing off a bit of thigh. The woman always wore professional clothing but either her clothes showed off her curves or showed off a bit of skin. At least she was confident in her clothes.

"Is everything alright?" She asked him, "Your brother made a dramatic entrance."

Lucian couldn't agree more. He knew Noah got defensive like that because of him but his brother did make quite an entrance. He was sure Scarlett didn't know what to do with herself while Noah tried to charm her, butter her up for what he was about to ask her.

"I know he was a bit over the top but my mother is planning something outrageous this weekend and my brother got upset on my behave. I apologize if he made you feel uncomfortable at any point."

Her eyes widened, shaking her head, "No, it's not that." She quickly told him, "I was just worried something happened. It's my first day and I'm not sure if I am ready to face my first emergency yet."

He was seeing the real Scarlett, at least he liked to think so. She lowered her guard and spoke in a more excited tone. She leaned back in her chair when she noticed he regarded her with a smile. She cleared her throat and pulled herself back together.

"You okay?" He asked her.

It wasn't fair of him to tease her a bit when she felt embarrassed about showing a different side to her. She might have wanted to keep up the persona she created and he was trying to break that down. It was best to discuss their weekend away and let her calm down so she could slip into the character of seductress again.

"So about this outrageous thing." He started, "My mother has this obsession, she loves to play matchmaker and try and push these women onto me in hopes of me falling madly in love with one and get married."