Two Peas in a Pod

Scarlett sat straight beside him, clutching her cup of tea while facing Dawn with a little smile on her face. She didn't know how to behave around Dawn and he couldn't blame her. He felt awkward too.

The very pregnant woman mirrored Scarlett's smile. She was uncomfortable too. He needed to wrap this up to save them all. He wanted to, he really did but if they could barely get a word out while casually meeting up for coffee or tea or whatever the fuck they wanted to drink, this thing would never work out.

So he let them all suffer.

He shifted in his chair, his arm bumping into Scarlett's which made her glance at him. He flashed her a smile. Scarlett's eyes flickered to the papers which were laying in front of him. She wanted him to move this along. Placing his hand on the papers he pushed them toward Dawn.

"I mentioned this over the phone." He started.

Dawn nodded, "I understand." She reached for the papers, her eyes scanning over it, "Let me get my pen."

He wasn't surprised that she wanted to sign it, because the little time he did spend with her his alarm bells didn't start ringing. He didn't felt like she was dishonest which is why he felt bad to more or less push her aside because of Scarlett. The connection he had with Scarlett he'd never have with the supposed mother of his child. He was aware of this, even if he tried to force it neither one of them would be happy.

"Just to make sure we're on the same page," He started, "This states that if the child is mine they'll have the right to their trust fund which I'll set up when they're eighteen. I will support my child financially."

"Just not me." Dawn finished, "I get it." She signed her name on the contract without even looking through it which annoyed him.

"Don't you want to read it through?" He asked, "Think about it before you sign your name on it." He trailed off.

She had signed the contract and pushed it toward him, "I trust you." She tossed her pen back in her bag, "I'm sure you're not scamming me because honestly what do I have to offer?" She asked, a little laugh following, "If this is what you need to trust me too then I don't mind signing it."

"It also states that you agree to do a paternity test." He was annoyed as hell and Scarlett noticed it because she placed her hand on his knee to reassure him or maybe calm him down. It did help a little, "Don't just sign your name like that on contracts, Dawn. That's not reassuring at all. Maybe I am a scammer, you wouldn't know."

Besides him, Scarlett tried so hard not to laugh but he heard the chuckle which she tried to cover up with a cough. Maybe he was exaggerating a little.

"I'm fine with that too." She finished her tea and gathered her things, "I'm not lying." She got to her feet, looking like she'd collapse due to the new weight. He got to his feet as well, but she held up a hand to refuse his help, "I'm good. I'll make the appointment and send you to results."

"I'm sorry." He stated, feeling terrible for sounding like a dick to her.

The forced smile spread across her face did tell him that she wanted to run out of there as fast as she could. Everything about this meeting was awkward, but it needed to happen. If he stewed on it for too long the baby would be there.

"It's okay."

It really wasn't, but he didn't say that out loud.

"You need this because of who you are." If her smile got even sweeter her face would crack, "I get that."

It didn't mean that everything stated in that contract didn't sting. If you read between the lines it was bluntly stating that the gold digger wouldn't get paid. Dawn might not have anything to offer what would intrigue him financially but that could be stated about a lot of people.