At the end of the intense battle, the clash between Getsuga Tenshou and Shuukei: Hakuteiken resulted in a colossal blast. The clouds of dust soon cleared up, revealing both bloodied and injured combatants standing across each other with their backs facing each other.

After a short pause, blood spurted from the large gashes on Ichigo's back and shoulder, and he stabbed his blade into the ground as he held it for support. "I cannot fall!" he said weakly, yet determinedly.

Byakuya finally shifted from his spot, and blood also spilled from a deep wound inflicted across his chest by Ichigo himself, causing the Captain to stagger a bit. He then remembered that during their clash, Ichigo's blade shattered his own, and stared at the remnants of his Zanpakutou left in his hand as the cherry blossom petals were blown away in the wind. "You wanted to know, why I would kill Rukia." he suddenly said. Using his Zanpakutou for support, Ichigo, now intrigued, turned around to look at him. "Those with sins must be judged. When the sentence has been decided, it must be carried out. Those are the rules."

"Because of the rules, you would even kill your own little sister?" concluded Ichigo.

"Feelings towards kin?" added Byakuya. "How pointless."

"What?" asked the boy.

"Compared to rules, all emotions are worthless." explained the Captain. "I did not have such useless emotions from the start." He glanced back at Ichigo over his shoulder while adding, "The Kuchiki Clan is one of the Four Great Noble Houses. We must set the standard for all the Shinigami. If we don't obey the rules, then who will?"

"Sorry, but I just can't understand." argued Ichigo. "I think that if I was in your position, I would fight against the rules."

Byakuya's eyes widened at his statement for a fraction before they returned to normal. 'I see.' he thought with realisation. 'He was not my enemy from the very start. He has been fighting against Soul Society's rules from the beginning.' He then then around and walked away. "Kurosaki Ichigo, my sword was broken by your freedom. I can no longer chase after Rukia. This battle's victory is yours." With that, the wounded captain used Flash Step to get away from the battleground, leaving Ichigo alone.

The latter stood there as he stared at where Byakuya once stood, still trying to comprehend what had just happen before dropping his sword and crying out loudly in jubilation, finally defeating the Captain of the 6th Division. However, he soon became lightheaded due to exhaustion and loss of blood, and started to fall backwards. "This is bad." he said weakly. "I can't stand anymore. I'm at my limit... I-"

BANG!

"Owie!" cried Orihime while rubbing her head in pain, before she began to panic when she saw Ichigo was on the ground, gripping the back of his head in pain as well. "I-I'm sorry! Kurosaki-kun, are you okay? Sorry that my head's so hard. I tried to catch you, but..."

He overcame the pain and looked at her. "I-Inoue?!" he said with surprise. His gaze then landed on the people behind her. "Ishida! Chad! Ganju!" He smiled with relief as he laid on his back. "Everyone's okay. Thank goodness."

"Although we aren't okay, it's just that compared how badly you're beaten up, everyone else looks uninjured." said Uryu.

"How about Inoue?" he asked before moving her gaze to her. "Are you injured?"

"Eh?" she responded, confused. "M-Me?! I'm totally fine! Even though I wasn't any help at all, Ishida-kun protected me. And Zaraki-san gave me piggy-back rides! So, I wasn't... I wasn't in any danger." She clenched her fists as a light shade of red danced across her cheeks. "I just... I just... I just worried about you the whole time. I'm sorry, Kurosaki-kun, that I couldn't protect you. Thank you, Kurosaki-kun, for being alive. I'm happy that you're alright." Her voice started to crack at the end, feeling so relieved that she was close to crying because all those times, she wasn't sure if he would come out alive.