四十七

Another sixteen months passed, rounding up to a total of seventeen months since Aizen's defeat. Many things had changed during this period, especially the Captain and Lieutenant lineup of Gotei 13. Rose, Hirako and Kensei reinstating their positions as Captains of the 3rd, 5th and 9th Divisions respectively, while Mashiro returned her duties as the Lieutenant of the 9th Division. Tadashi, too, was one of the Visored who resumed their duties as Shinigami, and worked under Shunsui, just like the good old days. On the other hand, everyone's physical appearance had some changes as well. Some had grown taller, some had their hair either grow longer or cut short, and there were some who hadn't changed much.

Since their visit to the hot spring in the Human World, Asa and Byakuya were closer to each other than before, with the latter becoming more open with his emotions even though he didn't show it in public. But Asa didn't mind. Outside of home, he was known as the Captain of the 6th Division while she was the 3rd Seat of the 10th Division. Each of them had their own responsibilities and tried not to put personal matters into their work. Many around them sometimes wondered if something had happened between the two lovers, because they were distancing themselves and trying hard not to work together. And even if they saw each other in the corridors, they'd give each other a simple greeting, followed by a nod, before they went on their way. This became the birth of the many gossips swirling around the two, though they couldn't be bothered by the rumours.

However, it's people like Rukia and Renji who knew that wasn't the case, for they knew that things were completely different at home where the two were often found in each other's arms, with Byakuya brushing through her silky hair with his fingers, both enjoying each other's company in the comfortable silence. There were even moments when Rukia and Renji would caught them kissing under the trees of the garden in the dark night, though Byakuya threatened to use Senbonzakura on them when they were caught red-handed, prompting them to run away and leave behind the fuming, yet embarrassed, Captain and his giggling lover.

If there was one person who was most supportive of their relationship besides Tadashi, it was Rukia. Words couldn't describe how happy she felt when she found out that her brother was courting Asa, someone whom she looked up to since her Academy days. She could tell that this relationship was helping him because he was more open with his emotions and not as cold and apathetic as before. Probably it was because Asa could read him like an open book. Rukia observed that she didn't need Byakuya to tell her how he felt, and all she had to do was merely take note of his body language and the emotions conveyed in his slate grey eyes, including the little gestures that he used in hopes that she would understand what he wanted to say. From there, she understood what he was thinking, what he was feeling; and to Rukia, it was amazing to see how someone like Asa could understand her stoic brother so easily, and she was glad that Asa was able to get him to open up more.

It was a chilly night when Asa was incited to the Kuchiki Manor after returning from a mission specially assigned to her by the Captain of the 10th Division. After having a hearty dinner, Rukia returned to her quarters, leaving her brother to enjoy his quiet time with his lover. He was wearing a grey yukata underneath a blue haori, while Asa was in a black yukata with the red shawl given by him wrapped around her shoulders. They often sat on the wooden panel and looking at the night view of the garden. But instead of having Asa lay her head on his lap and enjoy the feeling of him brushing through her hair, it was his turn to receive this treatment.

"You have such smooth hair." she commented, gently fiddling with the ends, as she earned a hum from him. After a few moments of silence, with the exception of crickets chirping in the background, he called her name, and she tilted her head down to look at him. "What is it?"

"Can you cut my hair?" he requested.

Asa blinked. It was pretty odd for him to ask for a favour, let alone asking her to cut his hair. "Now, where did that come from?" she asked back.