二十七

While Muramasa faced the pool of water, Hozukimaru, Sode no Shirayuki, Ashisogi Jizo, Haineko, Tobiume, Tenken, Suzumebachi, Kazeshini, and several other Zanpakutou spirits that gathered inside the cave were surprised upon seeing the person that descended from the staircase and stood before them.

"Kuchiki Byakuya?" said Kazeshini, who instantly recognised him.

"What's he doing here?" asked Hozukimaru.

"What's going on?" followed Suzumebachi.

"Muramasa-san, what's the meaning of this?" asked Ruri'iro Kujaku, who had the appearance of a light-skinned and fairly muscular man with grey eyes and blue hair, with two long bangs framing his face, that's tied in a long braid with a strip of red fabric at the back. He had an orange Mohawk running from the top of his head to the back of his skull, and a tan fabric wrapped around the top half of his head. He had dark fur covering most of his back, arms and sides, and long green feathers tipped with orange and yellow on his forearms and waist. He also wore a tan calf-length boots segmented by a spiral design.

"Why did you save me?" came a familiar voice that caused everyone to snap their heads toward him.

"Senbonzakura?" greeted Sode no Shirayuki. The said spirit had the left eye area of his mask shattered during an earlier battle, revealing his blue eyes and a part of his pale skin.

"Why did a man like you turn against the Shinigami?" he demanded.

"He turned against the Shinigami?" noted Hozukimaru.

"So he's on our side?" asked Ruri'iro Kujaku.

"I am only doing as my sense of pride dictates." was Byakuya's reply to his Zanpakutou's question.

"Pride, my ass!" laughed Kazeshini. "I don't buy it!"

"But he saved us, too!" stated Tobiume, who was standing next to Haineko.

"What?!" he exclaimed with disbelief.

"We came here because we ran out of patience with you Shinigami." explained Ruri'iro Kujaku while looking at Byakuya. "I'd rather not have to work with the likes of you."

"Exactly." agreed Hozukimaru. "It defeats the purpose of cutting loose!"

"Kuchiki Byakuya, I would like you to prove to us that you are truly going to betray the Shinigami." challenged Senbonzakura as he took a few steps closer.

"What do you want me to do?" he asked, glancing at him over his shoulder.

The Zanpakutou spirit looked over the others until his gaze fell upon one of them. "Kill your sister's Zanpakutou, Sode no Shirayuki, right here and now!" was his task for him. The said spirit gasped out of surprise, and she wasn't the only one feeling that way.

"Hey, what the hell are you thinking?!" demanded Haineko, who thought this was going too far.

"Have him kill one of us?!" asked Suzumebachi with disbelief.

"Supposedly, a Zanpakutou will never return to normal if killed by anyone but its owner." explained Senbonzakura. "I wonder if he's capable of doing this."

"So that's it!" said Kazeshini with excitement.

"Kuchiki Rukia is his beloved sister." began Ruri'iro Kujaku.

"Meaning he'd never be able to kill her Zanpakutou." continued Hozukimaru before they manifested their sword forms. Besides the female Zanpakutou spirits, the rest wielded their weapon forms in their hands as well.

"How terrible!" commented the latter.

Kage Odoriko, who didn't withdraw his weapon, let out a mushroom sigh. "You guys were never planning on letting him join us, were you?" he stated disapprovingly.