五十三

With the help of the 4th Division members, Tadashi brought Byakuya into the operating theater and began to operate him in attempt to save his life. Waiting, Asa was sitting on a bench outside the room with so many thoughts running through her head. The things that happened to her left a huge impact. Her Zanpakutou all of a sudden bid her farewell and vanished, leaving her without a weapon. And it was right after that she found out her grandfather was killed by the leader of the enemy. Just when things couldn't get any worse, the necklace's Reiatsu brought her to the fatally wounded Byakuya. Whether all of this happened coincidentally or not, she wouldn't know. All she knew was that she sudden lost the people she loved. And there was nothing she could do about it.

Lights were switched off, and Tadashi, who was wearing his white surgical wear, exited the room while taking off the surgical mask. He walked up to Asa and sat next to her. "The operation was a success." he said, though solemnly. "It was too late to heal him with just Reiatsu, so I operated him to suture the Reishi where it was necessary. Now that his condition is stable, he's out of danger. They're bringing him to the intensive care unit as we speak." Though Asa was relieved that Byakuya had escaped death, she was still overwhelmed by grief, and she needed to do something. Getting up, she began to slowly walk away, and Tadashi seemed to know where she planned to go. "Asa-nee, there's nothing left there."

"I want... to look for him." she said despairingly before continuing to walk down the corridors, leaving Tadashi to watch her leave with a sympathetic look.

Meanwhile, the remaining Captains gathered around the broken Ryujin Jakka placed in the middle of the 1st Division barracks. "Apparently they couldn't find the body of the Captain-Commander." said Ukitake sadly. "It must have been destroyed by the enemy." The others had nothing but sorrow on their faces, as they lamented the death of their leader.

Just then, a messenger arrived at the door and knelt on the floor. "I'm here to report." he announced, but none of them spared him a glance. "Kuchiki Byakuya, Captain of the 6th Division, and Zaraki Kenpachi, Captin of the 11th Division, both were able to escape death. However, it's difficult to think that they'll be able to resume their duties as Captain, and there is even a chance that they might not wake up-"

"Stay back!" snapped Soi Fon, who wasn't able to hold back her emotions anymore, surprising the messenger. "I don't want to hear that now! Don't you understand?! The Captain-Commander passed away! What else do we have to hear next?!" Ukitake looked at her with so much of empathy, and said nothing.

However, Kensei wasn't going to keep quiet about this. "Stop it." he demanded. "You're pitiful."

"Pitiful?!" repeated the 2nd Division Captain with aversion. "You're so calm and collected just because you disliked the Captain-Commander!"

"How dare you." snarled Kensei, clearly offended.

"QUIT IT, SOI FON!" yelled Komamura, who had bandages wrapped around his right ear. "Do you think you're the only one that wants to scream?!" The said woman could only look at him with eyes widened while Hitsugaya, Rose and Hirako looked down with sorrow.

Suddenly, someone clapped their hands, attempting to gain the Captains' attention. "Okay." said Shunsui, who was standing at the doorway with an eyepatch over his left eye. "Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay. Let's not fight. Normally, after this all of you would've gotten a knuckle from Yamajii. He would say that it's shameful to cry and get angry in front of relics, you know."

"Kyoraku, you..." trailed off Soi Fon, having lost for words.

"Gotei 13 wasn't created to mourn the dead or to feel sorry for a destroyed Soul Society." he continued. "They exist to protect Soul Society." Those words seemed to have an impact on the Captains, as they looked at him with unreadable expressions. "We should look forward. After all, we are Gotei 13." He then glanced at his left side and pursed his lips together. "Besides, I think we should give her some space."