十一

Eiichi was inside Asa's study room reading a letter that was part of the huge pile of mails sent to her that morning. After his eyes scanned the paper, he looked up with a huge smile. "Good news, Asa-sama!" he said. "The Chief of Rukongai has reported the crops they've collected were able to feed everyone in the districts."

Relief was written on her face. "Really?" she said with a smile. "That's great."

For the past few weeks, Asa had been keeping herself occupied by helping the people of Rukongai with their basic needs such as food, water and shelter. With their help, she was able to provide those sufficiently, as well as going to an extent where she donated unwanted clothes that she had collected all over Seireitei to them, treating the sick with her medicine, and making sure each of the orphans had homes where people were willing to take care of them. It wasn't easy, for there was so much to do and many more souls in other districts to help. And at the same time, she carried out her duties as a Shinigami by slaying Hollows that invaded Soul Society and making sure that everyone was safe from them.

With the title as the Lieutenant of the 5th Division removed from her the moment she accepted the twenty-year mission according to her own will, she was free in a sense that she didn't have anyone she was working under, but she no longer belonged to a Division now that her former Captain had betrayed Soul Society. She would lie if she said that she enjoyed being free from the many responsibilities that took up her time to volunteer in Rukongai, for she missed the times when she could join her subordinates to fight on the battlefield. But if this is what life wanted her to do, then she had no say in it.

Just then, a muffled voice came from behind the door, to which Asa quickly responded with, "Enter!" The door slid open to reveal one of the maids working in the manor. "What is it, Hikari-san?" asked the mistress kindly.

"Yamamoto-sama wishes to speak to you, Asa-sama." was her reply.

"My grandfather?" repeated the said woman with surprise. She got up from her chair and began following the maid to where the elderly man was waiting for her. When she arrived at the living room, her face lit up with joy. She rushed towards the old man and hugged him. "Ojii-sama!"

Yamamoto's serious facade faltered, and he returned the hug with a small smile. "Hello, my granddaughter." he greeted fondly. As the Captain-Commander of Gotei 13, he was a highly respected Shinigami who was very loyal to Soul Society and took his duties very seriously, expecting the same from the other Shinigami. Despite his stern personality, he was a loving grandfather to Asa and very protective of her, for he wanted what was best for her. He admitted being reluctant to let her go during her wedding day because she was leaving the Yamamoto home, and felt sorry for her when Michiro, one of his most loyal subordinates, had passed, becoming worried about her well-being as he wondered how she was going to cope with the death of her dearly departed. When he caught hold of news that she agreed to go on the twenty-year mission, he was very concerned about her safety and questioned whether he should let her go, until Aizen had to step in and convince him that it was for the best. So here they are - in each other's embrace after so long.

Asa finally pulled away and guided him to the chabudai table where Kanako had placed a tray of tea set with snacks for them. "Please, take a seat." she offered. Yamamoto sat on one of the black zabuton, and his granddaughter sat opposite him before pouring some tea into a teacup. "Here."

"Thank you." he said while accepting the cup and taking a sip of the green tea.

Asa, on the other hand, poured some tea into her cup and sipped some as well. "I'm honestly surprised that you took the trouble to have time to visit me despite your busy schedule." she said.

"I had my Lieutenant temporarily take my place." he assured. "I heard you were busy helping out in Rukongai, continuing what you and Michiro used to do back then. I may sound cold saying this, but I'm glad you didn't let his passing stop you from doing what you love."