The Gift

Inspired by Kaycee's pre-birthday weekend celebration. 

A product of my insomniac and (therefore) delusional mind. 

**********

All he could feel was warmth; it was as if some form of a star is residing inside her body just like her daughter's. But with her daughter, every touch and hug with her, everything burns.

Laura released him from her embrace, holding him at arm's length while giving him a gentle, motherly smile.

"Thanks for everything, Sean. The cupcakes were amazing. And thank you for being here. Thank you for making her happy," she said genuinely, and he couldn't help but smile back.

Sean gave a casual shrug, smiling. "It's nothing, Laura. Anything for Kaycee," he said, not realizing his voice had gone soft at the mention of her name.

For some reason, his eyes darted to her husband, meeting his gaze. He was sure he was telling him something; actually he was waiting for it every time they meet, but Brad Rice never asked him questions nor gave him "the talk". He had no reason to – not yet, anyway – because he had always been the best friend to his daughter and had always treated her with utmost respect despite the pressure from social media and suspicions from their friends.

Brad only gave him a smile, tapping his shoulder, as if telling him well done. He had trusted him, Sean knows he does, even without verbally confirming it. He accepted it as an unspoken agreement between them when the older would include him in conversations, valuing his wisdom at such a young age, and asking him to join family events and trips as if he were family.

Even neither Kylie nor Devon brought any topic related to his and their sister's special friendship, although he would catch Kylie smirking when he and Kaycee were sitting too close to each other or when they were unconsciously flirting. On the other hand, he would get a hard stare from the older brother whenever he gets touchy with Kaycee, and would sometimes accidentally walk in on them when they're having their deep conversations alone. But other than that, he was passively supportive to them by being their occasional chauffeur-slash-chaperone when they wanted to hang out.

He is pretty much welcome into the family, understanding his real intentions for their daughter and trusting him enough to allow him and guide him through Kaycee Rice's closed doors.

He really just hoped he had the key to open her last lock.

"Thank you, Sean," Laura said. Then, as if just remembering why they were there in the first place, she gave him an inquiring look. "Aren't you going to bed?"

She had announced minutes ago that it was time for bed and advised the youngsters to take a rest after the tiring day. She and her husband were on their way to their room when they met Sean on the hall.

Sean could only scratch the back of his neck, suddenly growing shy and nervous but he knew he had to come clean. After all, he already earned their trust and he would want to keep it.

"I'm giving Kaycee her gift," he admitted.

Laura's smile grew wide, and Brad nodded. "I'm sure she'll love that. Thank you, son," Brad said.

His heart thundered at the term, his confidence suddenly skyrocketed.

He took a deep breath as he smiled, her parents wishing him a goodnight before turning to the Kaycee's room where the girls are staying. He knocked before opening the door, and was met by Charlize and Tahani giggling over something on the video Julian was showing them, who was kneeling by the bed.