I Knew I Loved You

An excerpt of a story I wrote (but will never publish). Edit: I ended up publishing it 😅 titled Kaycee's Twelve Brothers

(I encourage you to listen to the song if you haven't heard of it, and excuse me for my oldie choice of song.)

*****

"Hey. Quit fucking with your hair, it's becoming a mess," Julian snapped, slapping his hands away and carefully styled it again.

"Sorry. Nervous energy," Sean said, bouncing on the balls of his feet in anxiety. "What if I mess it up? What if I forget –"

"What if you forget your memory after I knock you on the face?" Julian said, frowning. "You won't mess this up. And do you ever mess up?"

Sean almost grinned at his best-friend's irritated face.

Yes, best friend. Years ago, he was a sworn enemy by Julian, but now they're closer as a twin brother. His tough love somehow comforted him, but suddenly, a passing thought crossed his mind, and that thought transformed into fear. "What if...Kaycee's not going to be there?"

Julian gave him a what-the-fuck expression. "Of course Kaycee is going to be there, you idiot," he said, punching him on the shoulder. He glared at him again. "If you ask any more of these stupid questions I'm really gonna cluck you in the face." Sean could only nod.

Julian sighed, suddenly getting tired of talking sense to his best friend. He was anxious, too. "Okay. You ready?"

"I think so –"

"That's not the answer I wanna hear," Julian said.

"Yeah. I am," Sean said, taking a deep breath.

Julian nodded once, giving him a small smile. "Alright. See you out there, man. Don't die on us," he said, grinning.

Sean nodded rapidly as he watched the guy exit the room.

His friends came by, wishing him good luck and giving him pep talks to ease his building anxiety. "Just enjoy," almost all of his friends said, but he couldn't fully grasp the advice yet when he felt like he is going to jump in the Pacific.

The only one who could calm him down was her, but he knew she couldn't come by. He could only close his eyes, picturing her clear brown pools and how it lights up a thousand more when she smiles. He took a deep breath, willing himself to calm down.

"You can do this," he whispered to himself.

***

The moment Sean stepped out, he could feel the cold sweat breaking on his forehead, his heart thumping in a mismatched pace. He was already dying of anxiety, excitement, he didn't know – and when he walked, his mind automatically muted the noise of the people around. He could see Kaycee's brothers in front, giving him small encouragements through their nods and grins.

He felt he was floating with anxiety.

I'm gonna die, he thought. But taking a deep breath, he took his place in the front.

Looking over at Tate by the piano, they both nodded. And another kind of beautiful music starts.

His heart was warring with his chest, but he tried to smile, as he watched his friends throughout the years walk down the aisle. They all gave him a smile, and Sean could already feel the tears leaking down at the sides of his eyes.

And he hadn't even seen her yet.

His laugh mixed in with tears as he watched his little sister, not so little anymore, throwing petals around with a big grin, looking so pretty with the flower crown on her head. Behind her was Oreo, strutting down the aisle in short steps, a small cage dangling on his collar, containing the rings, causing the guests into an uproar with their aww's.