Light

Angst (-ish). 

Fluff (-ish).

**********

Julian heaved a silent sigh, subtly shaking his head in disbelief as he took in the appearance of his best friend in front of him before sipping his coffee.

"You look like a total shit, man," he said flatly, looking back at Sean who had dark circles under his eyes, cheeks a little sunken, and hair sticking out in different directions.

He didn't seem to care about his appearance when Julian had practically dragged him out of bed that morning, urging him to finally come out of the house.

"Did you just bring me here to give me a fucking earful? If that's so, I'm leaving –" Sean shot up to stand but Julian was quick to pull his best friend back into his seat.

They were in an empty diner that early morning, Julian not taking it anymore that his best friend was wasting the days away inside his house.

"I just merely stated my observation," Julian said through gritted teeth, annoyed at his behaviour. "And guess what? I'm your best friend. Perhaps the only person who cares about you right now. Now, I want you to sit your stubborn ass still in that chair and fucking listen to me," he spat, breathing heavily.

He glanced his way onto the personnel behind the bar, who had her mouth agape. The middle-aged lady took the hint, and quickly wiped the bar again. Julian took a heated breath and gazed into Sean's cold eyes.

"I'm not gonna be gentle with you despite everyone telling me to take it easy on you. Because, Sean, what the fuck?" he deadpanned. "You practically ruined your life within the last months. First, you gambled your hard-earned money from the business that you just put up, fucking cheated on your fiancé, and now that she called off the engagement, you're drowning yourself in alcohol every night! Your house is basically a dumpsite -!"

"I know that, asshole!" Sean gritted, banging an angry fist on the table that the cup of coffee jumped on its place, spilling some. He was breathing heavily now, and Julian could see frustrated tears filling his eyes.

"I just want to give you a little reminder. Because all this time, you only walked away from your problems or added more. You never faced nor fixed them. We tried to help you, man, but because of your fucking pride you keep on pushing us away!"

"You don't understand," Sean said, his voice hard and trembling.

"It's because I really don't," Julian said, frowning.

Sean ran a hand over his face in frustration. "Whatever. Fuck you, man. If you're so fed up with me, then why don't you just leave? Just like everybody else?" he said, sliding from his seat to stand up. "After all, I'm fucking useless, right?"

"Don't put words in my mouth!" he spat, his voice rising. They have become unaware of the lady behind the bar shooting them dirty looks, nor the person who just entered the diner. "I never said that."

Sean shook his head, spreading his arms. "You don't fucking need to!"

He took a step back as he gave Julian a hard stare when a body collided into his.

"Can you watch where you're fucking going?!" Sean snapped, in time to see a girl holding on to the table for support to her balance.

The said girl regained her footing and stood back up, slowly turning to face him, but with a smile on her face.

And his breath got caught up in his throat as he faced her. What first captured him was her smile, then her eyes – those clear chocolate ones that sparkled with some green when hit by the sunlight that streamed onto the diner's window.