No Excuse

Sean is usually a calm person.

Yes, he is goofy when he is with his friends, a silent one in front of new people, not shy, and definitely friendly. He is a perfectionist, a hardworker, above all a learner; but it doesn't mean he never gets frustrated or had never let out his frustrations.

As a matter of fact, no one would want to see a frustrated or angry Sean.

Kaycee Rice was the first person who witnessed his frustrated outburst – so uncontrolled, seemingly untameable. They had just started rehearsing for World of Dance, and as much as he adores her as a dancer and as a friend, his emotions got the better of him especially when she's being indecisive and stubborn at a crucial point in their rehearsal. She was almost always fearful of trying something new just because she was afraid of risks.

He had yelled at her then, but felt his heart drop thereafter when he saw how the light in her eyes vanished, downcast as she avoided his gaze. She just meekly nodded in agreement with what he was saying, remaining silent throughout the duration of practice. He had wanted to take back what he had just said, but he was too angry, and he thought she needed some criticisms too in order for her to improve. He knew she would easily forgive him, and she actually had no choice because they had to work together. He thought his tough love would make her stronger in character, so he didn't say anything and just let the tension pass.

But it was different the second time around. He didn't see her merely as his friend anymore, and so his stomach plummeted when he saw the hurt that crossed her gaze before she walked out of his house's garage that they were rehearsing in. It took him a minute to find his bearings before he went out to find her.

Everything had changed since the very first time they worked together. If he wanted her to experience hard work and criticism before, now he didn't even want a few minutes to pass with her being upset. She was a hard worker, too, and in her words, a student of life, so she didn't deserve his treatment.

He saw her by the pool, looking at the city lights that popped on every area as the night was falling. Her curls were flying by the cool wind, her arms hugging herself as she tried to control her breaths.

Wary, Sean took tentative steps towards her, not particularly unsure of what to do, but unsure of how she would react.

Screw it, he had thought then before stopping behind her.

Taking a deep breath, he wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her close to his chest as he buried his face on her hair.

He could feel her tense under his hold. How could she not? This would be the very first time he showed physical intimacy outside of dance, and he's not letting go soon.

"Sean, what are you-?"

"I'm sorry, Kayc," he whispered against her hair, surprised by the emotion in his own voice.

He really did feel bad for causing that hurt to cross in her eyes. She remained silent for a while, before he felt her take a deep, dragging breath, her cold fingers on his skin as she started to pry his hands off her. But he held on tighter, and Kaycee sighed.

"It's okay, Sean. I forgive you. It was my fault, anyway," she said, trying to make his hands off her again. "You can let go now," she said softly.

"I'm a being a bad friend," he said instead, ignoring her.

"Don't say that. It's a practice. These things happen," the girl said.

"I promise I won't yell at you again."