Date

A short something that was supposed to be posted last Valentine's. Not much but I hope you like it.

*****

"So here's what you have to know first, Hazel.

"Your dad and I prefer simple dinner dates –at home. No posh restaurant reservations, not even grand surprises. Your dad cooks like a Michelin chef, anyway. Just us –our cooking, our favourite music playing in the background, wine, and of course dancing.

"So can you do this for me? Dad is probably at work right now, so you better start early."

Her mother's giggle, as usual, made her smile, too. The nineteen year-old girl tied the apron around her waist as she listened to her mother's sweet, soothing voice. She took a deep breath, psyching herself for the task at hand. She wanted everything to be perfect, she didn't want to ruin this.

"Your dad didn't know this, but I found his own recipe of beef bourguignon. He didn't want me finding out, you know, to keep the mystery of his delicious cooking. But your dad isn't that much of a genius after all; he just inserted it in one of the cookbooks."

Hazel could almost hear her mother rolling her eyes, and she could only laugh.

"Just follow the steps in there sweetie, and you should be fine."

And it took her literally hours to prepare everything. From her father's recipe, to her mother's lasagne which is her dad's favourite, to the only dessert, chocolate soufflé. It surprised her that she wasn't exhausted –but anything for her parents' Valentine's date.

She took a deep, satisfying breath as she placed the finished product of her cooking on a circular table, covered in simple white cloth, a vase of her mother's favourite roses and a lit candle in the middle. She had already dimmed the lights to set up the mood, her parents' favourite song in piano version playing in the background.

Hazel knew they preferred their date as simple as possible, but she couldn't help but add her touch. Heart-shaped, red balloons floated against the ceiling, photos of her parents together tied at the edge of the strings.

She could feel a lump form inside her throat as she looked at the sweet photos, almost tangibly feeling their love through the pictures.

Someday, she would experience that kind of love, but for now, she would want to see and experience what her parents have.

*****

He could feel the exhaustion weighing down his shoulders just as he unlocked the door to their house. His back muscles were tied in knots, and there was nothing he wanted more than a hot shower right at that moment. He removed his jacket as he stretched his neck, wanting to go to the kitchen to get himself a glass of cold water when he stopped in his tracks.

The familiar, beautiful tune of After You in piano reached his ears, making his heart clench. A smile stretched his lips as slowly, he made his way to the dining room.

He instantly felt his chest tighten at the sight –it was their usual set-up, but this time, memories immortalized in photos hung everywhere, making all air in his lungs cease. There was nothing more beautiful than all these, and his heart gripped as he took his time in looking at each of the photos.

He turned to the delicious smell on the table, and his smile widened at the sight of his own recipe and his favourite of his wife's cooking. It was the only thing she mastered anyway, and even though he had teased her to death about it, she continued cooking it for him every time.