Unchanged Melody

Sequel to Hear Me Say, 10 years later.

Angst . 

Mature.

******

All types of sounds and noise muted into background, leaving her own heart beating inside her ears like a marching drum, following an oncoming familiar silence as she stared right back into the eyes that she missed so much.

At that moment as he stared back at her with a hopeful gleam, the initial emotion years ago that she wanted to will out of herself vanished, reminded of the truth by the unchanged melody in her heart.

She saw him take a hesitant step towards her, but they were suddenly met with a throng of people who exited the finished ride, creating a wide gap between them.

"Hey..." a tall man approached her with a sleeping girl in his arms. "She fell asleep half-way through. Didn't even get to see the view," he chuckled. "She must be very tired after all the rides," the man said, handing her the sleeping child into her arms.

And Sean Lew's eyes widened at the realization. If he thought it was impossible to get his heart more broken, he was wrong.

The other man realized the woman's non-response and was quick to see the cause of her stupor, turning to Sean who just stood there, dumbfounded. Locking eyes with him served as Sean's wake-up call, and for a moment she was scared that the change she saw in his eyes meant he's going away again.

That he's going to leave again.

"Kaycee. Is he...?" the man started to ask the still silent girl.

Kaycee somehow knew of the thoughts that must be plaguing his mind right at that moment, but she was just as surprised when Sean took a breath and took a step towards them, extending a hand to the man beside her.

"I'm Sean Lew," he said in a low, almost quiet voice.

A gasp escaped Kaycee's lips, and she couldn't fight the oncoming tears anymore, heart beating thunderously.

Sean's eyes flitted towards her, mirroring her tears, and swallowing a painful lump in his throat, he said. "Kaycee's friend."

FIVE YEARS AGO

It took her for a while to adjust her vision and hearing from her dreamless sleep. For a few seconds, everything seemed so peaceful what with the golden rays of the sun splaying over their ceiling, warmth and coolness kissing her skin at the same time and the steady beat of his heart right beneath her ear.

Then came the usual noise of traffic and an ongoing construction work in the next building that drafted through their open window. Even then, Kaycee wasn't fazed. With Sean beside her, everything is peaceful.

She lifted her head and rested her chin on his chest, her eyes running over to his closed eyes, nose and parted, voluminous lips. Smiling, she planted a tender kiss just below his collarbone, which made him stir in his sleep. She waited for him to wake up, occasionally planting kisses on his chest, neck, jaw then lips, and she chuckled when he was trying to fight the sleep in his eyes.

And when she did lock eyes with him, she smiled that stunning smile that he so much loved.

Good morning, she signed.

Good morning, and he took her face, pulled her to him and sank his lips in hers. For a minute, their tongues touched in a slow, gentle rhythm, their bare skins hotly flushed against each other.