Fragile

In honor of Fragile's release. I promise this won't hurt you, because as you know, I'm losing my touch here in writing lol.

Just a little something.

*****

She heaved a deep breath as she stood in the middle of the room, hands planted on her hips as she looked around. She knew she was nowhere done, and she had been lifting and pushing boxes around for a couple of hours now.

The afternoon sun poured into a lone window into the almost empty room, the dust swirling in the air, visible under the light. But that mere image just brought peace and contentment flowing through her being, and she smiled.

A familiar ringtone broke the silence of the room, and retrieving it from the back pocket of her jean shorts, she sat down on one of the boxes and pressed the phone into her ear.

"Hey honey! Settled yet?" the cheerful voice of her mom met her.

Kaycee let out a weak grin as her eyes swept round the room again, even though she knew she wouldn't see her. "Uh, more or less?" she answered, letting out an uneasy chuckle.

"We could've flew in and helped you, honey!"

"Mom," she giggled. "I'm halfway across the country. Besides, what's the point of me going independent? And I want you to rest at home."

"You really had to pick a far place area to live in," her mom sighed.

"For a change. You know that," she smiled.

She couldn't wait to start her new life in that new place.

"Okay, honey," her mother conceded. "Remember, we're just a phone call away. Should you need any help, we'll come running, okay?"

Kaycee chuckled. "Okay, mom."

"And don't forget to introduce yourself to your neighbors. Make new friends, so you can adjust easily. Maybe you can bake them your specialty cookies."

"Yup. Okay, I'm gonna do that," she nodded absently.

Although, she didn't exactly tell her parents that there were only a few houses in that place. There was another bungalow beside hers, and another across the street. The next house was two blocks away.

"I gotta go, honey. Call us about anything, okay? I love you," her mother said.

"Love you, too, mom," she said, and pocketed her phone again.

She silently mulled over what her mother just told her. She was right; it might take her weeks before she could have everything settled in and get to know other people, and her work starts in three weeks. She have to meet new people.

She thought about the neighbour next door, and so she turned around to look out through the window, but just then, she saw how the curtains yanked close, as if someone was just watching her.

Weird, she thought.

*****

It took Kaycee exactly three days to have finally settled –from buying and repairing furniture, down to decorating every room. It was hers now, and she was so proud at herself to have made it on her own; a goal she had been working hard because her parents were reluctant to see her go, being the youngest in the family. But they let her, eventually.

She didn't forget about her mother's advice of introducing herself to her neighbours. However, in those three days, she had never seen a shadow, and it honestly slipped her mind that she did have a neighbour; she just didn't feel him or her. He or she might have been very busy.