Chapter 2

Hi, hope you enjoyed the first chapter! This is the first story I've published online and any comments and feedback are appreciated.

I don't know how I got through the first few months away at school. Surrounded by new people, places, experiences, a whole new life, but I walked through it like it was a dream, going through the motions of attending classes, studying, sleeping and eating. I don't know how long I would have stayed in that fog if it hadn't been for Kelly. We were in the same dorm, but I didn't officially meet her until a few days before Halloween. She was battling with the snack vending machine in the lounge of our dorm, while I sat nearby trying to study for American lit. She was two seconds from putting her foot through the glass, so I jumped up and gave a solid thump to the machine, low near the change return. A bag of M&M's magically appeared at the bottom.

"Wow, how'd you do that?"

I almost cracked a smile at the awe in her voice.

"I spend a lot of time studying down here, ya pick up a trick or two."

"Thanks!" the girl replied cheerfully, grabbing the bag of candy. "And just so you know, I'm pretty sure yer my new favorite person."

I shrugged modestly and headed back to my spot on the couch. A second later, I felt someone flop down next to me; slanting my eyes, I could see it was M&M chick. Casually, she ripped open the bag and popped a couple pieces in her mouth, smiling in satisfaction.

"Want some?"

The bag was being waved temptingly under my nose.

"Um...I'm good."

She didn't get the hint.

"You know you waaaant some. It's the least I owe ya for rescuing my chocolate."

The smell of chocolate was tough to resist.

"Fine, I'll have a couple." As if it was a hardship to eat chocolate.

She handed me the bag, and I poured a couple in my hand and gave the candy back to her. We sat there for a couple minutes chewing contentedly.

"So I'm Kelly by the way. Chocoholic." She grinned unabashedly.

"Leila. Snack emancipator."

Kelly's smile widened. "A smartass, I like it."

I couldn't help but get caught up by her charm.

"Well, sarcasm is on my short list of life essentials."

She raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Really? What are the other ones?"

"Mexican food, the ocean, the people I love and music." I rattled off my list without hesitation.

"Wow, good list. Alright, let's see. Fettuccini Alfredo....chocolate, of course...my dog Chachi and fashion."

"You named yer dog Chachi?"

"I was like, goin' through a Scott Baio phase, which I can't even believe now." She shook her head in self-deprecation. "That reminds me, I have to add hot guys to my list. Totally can't live without them."

"Ain't that the truth?" I muttered under my breath but Kelly heard it.

"Ahh, that's what it is."

"What, what is?" I asked in confusion.

"Why you've been walkin' around like the saddest freshman in the history of Berkeley."

Great.

"Am I really that bad?" I scowled at the thought.

"Yeah, pretty much," she confirmed, but not unkindly. "You totally don't even notice how the boys around here are always tryin' to get yer attention, askin' to borrow pens and notepaper."