Chapter 13

Wow, thirteen chapters already, hope you guys are enjoying it so far. Please be sure to leave comments, and any feedback is appreciated. If something isn't working, please don't be afraid to let me know. Thanks!

September 1982

Metallica got the gig at The Stone in San Francisco after all and packed up their gear into a rented trailer and came up north to the Bay Area less than a month after I started back at school. I had offered, with Kelly's blessing, to let them stay with us, though I knew I'd regret the invite once they trashed the bathrooms and ate us out of house and home. My fingers were crossed that they wouldn't destroy the place too much as I watched them maneuver the van and trailer into the driveway that ran along the side of the house. I was on pins and needles to see Jamie and had to keep myself from running down the stairs and flinging myself into his arms when he stepped out of the van. He saved me the trouble though as he bounded up the steps and pulled me in for a tight hug. We stayed like that for a moment.

"Dude, when yer done molesting yer 'sister', we need a hand," Dave called out snarkily from below.

"Did you hafta bring him?" I whispered into James' ear.

"I'll make sure he behaves." He grinned as he pulled back to look down at me. "Anyway, I better go help." He started to step away but then turned back. "I missed ya Shorty."

With that, he was running down the steps to help the guys bring in the more valuable equipment and their personal items.

I directed them where to put stuff so we wouldn't be falling over each other, and gave the rundown on the sleeping arrangements, with Ron giving me a shy smile as I pointed out Kelly's room. She was still at class, though I could imagine she was staring at the clock willing it to go faster so that she could get home to see her guy. Technically they weren't exclusive, but I knew she wasn't messing around with anyone else.

Dave and Lars were currently flipping a coin to see who got the sofa the first night, when I felt James come up behind me.

"Am I bunkin' with you?" His voice was close to my ear and I had to suppress a shiver.

"Um yeah, if that's cool with you. I figured it's a full house and you wouldn't mind."

He grinned at me as we headed down the hall towards my room. "Nah, it's cool. Yer the one who has to put up with my snorin' though."

"I thought you said you didn't snore," I sassed back at him as I watched him drop his bag and jump on my bed, spreading his arms and legs wide. "And that ya didn't hog the bed."

He chuckled as he moved over, making room for me to lie next to him. We laid side by side in silence for a few minutes, the only sound was Lars and Dave arguing out in the living room over the validity of the coin that was used in the toss. I turned to look at Jamie, my chest tightening at having him close with me again. He must have sensed my gaze and he turned to look at me, his face unreadable.

"Leila!" a male voice shouted from the other room, destroying the moment. "Is it open season on these beers in the fridge?"

Sighing, I rolled my eyes and we both slowly sat up.

"Yeah," I shouted back, "go for it."

There were some happy yelps coming from the direction of the kitchen, and we both looked at each other and grinned. Jamie stood up first and then grabbed my hands to pull me up. Looking down at me, his face was unreadable again as he tucked a few stray locks behind my ear.

"Leila! What about the food in the fridge?"

"Shit, we better go before they devour everything." I smiled up at James shyly.