Chapter 46

James did insist on getting a bottle of scotch for my dad after all, and a beautiful huge bouquet of flowers for my mom. Maybe a vat of scotch instead would have been a good idea from the grim face and stiff handshake my dad extended to him. My mom broke the awkwardness though as she flung herself into Jamie's arms, tears coming down her face as she made a big fuss welcoming him back into the McKinnon home. My dad, taking a hint from the elbow shiv to the gut that he received from my mom, warmed his attitude a bit as we all made our way into the house. 

We sat out on the back patio, enjoying the quiet before all the invited guests arrived. My mom peppered us—mostly James—with questions about the tour and general well-being. I knew she was dying of curiosity as to what had brought James and I back together, but by the joy shining in her eyes, the fact that we were was enough for her for now.

We'd arrived in L.A. just a few hours earlier. Originally I had planned to stay the few nights we were in town at my own place, but since James and I were—whatever we were—I didn't think he'd want to sleep in the same bed I'd shared with Erik. Instead, we checked into James' swanky suite and had the hotel arrange for a rental car so that we could drive ourselves around like we'd done in San Francisco. I think Jamie felt, like I did, that we needed as much time away from the tour machine as possible, especially as we were in the early stages of building up our relationship. Driving around to our old haunts, sticking our toes into the Pacific, eventually finding ourselves back on the streets of Downey, all the old memories came back, and with them, a re-connection to our shared history and the bonds that had made our relationship so strong in the past. The more time I spent with him, the less he felt like some abstract version of Jamie and more like my version of Jamie. Sitting next to him now, watching him flush under my mom's prying questions as to whether he was getting enough sleep and enough to eat on the road, those six years apart became even more hazy.

Just then, I caught a sideways look from James. It was quick, as my mom was still talking and I knew he wasn't going to risk pissing off both senior members of the McKinnon clan, but I caught the joy in his eyes, as quick as it was. Being here, all of us together again, I knew it meant so much to him and I felt a sudden swell of emotion fill me. Blinking rapidly to stop the tears threatening at the back of my eyes, I looked away, only to get brought up short as my gaze collided with my dad's. He was watching me closely, and he must have witnessed the entire exchange with Jamie and all the emotions I was trying so hard to contain. My dad and I had always been close and I knew he understood what I was feeling. 

Reaching over, he squeezed my hand and his mouth quirked into a half smile. "So James"—he was speaking to Jamie, but his eyes never left me—"you're not planning on disappearing again right?"

"No sir. Never."

My dad's gaze finally moved to the other man. "Good." His smile widened. "How about we have a little of that whiskey you brought, I've got a hankering for a nip before the hordes of young people show up."

"My goodness Grant," my mother admonished tartly, "you say that like you and I have one foot in the grave."

He winked at me before turning to smile lovingly at my mother. "Forgive this old fart for his loose tongue Maggie, you are now and will always be, the beautiful, young, woman I married."

He stood up and bowed gallantly, but my mother just snorted at his attempt to excavate out of the hole he'd dug for himself. I looked to Jamie, who was standing up slowly to follow my dad into the den, and we shared a small smile of amusement. The guys wandered off then while my mom and I headed into the kitchen to finish prepping the dinner.

She'd outdone herself as always. There were piles of hamburger patties ready for the grill, a variety of salads, and enough baked goods to fill a pastry shop. I sneaked a cookie while her back was turned.