Chapter Twelve: Just Him

I rush over to the door and pull it open. Nate pulls a beautiful bouquet of pink orchids out from behind his back.

"Hey, beautiful" he smiles.

"Oh my goodness these flowers are what's beautiful!"

"Well, on the phone it sounded like you had a bit of a rough morning after you left my hotel room, so I wanted to make you smile."

"Well YOU make me smile." I kiss him. "Thank you so much, let me put these in a vase and then we can go."

I quickly add them to a vase with water and set them on the table before we head out. He leads me to his car and opens the door for me. What a gentleman. This would take some getting used to for sure.
I settled into the car and he kissed me softly as he got in. He held my hand as he drove to a cafe nearby. We made small talk about his car and his family on the way.
After we had been seated and had placed our orders, I knew it was time to talk, and I knew we had a lot to discuss.

"So, what happened this morning? Did the breakup really go that poorly?"

"Let's just say he kind of sealed the deal on the breakup before I even walked through the door."

"Oh?"

"I found Brody with two other girls. Apparently girls he had known when he lived on the east side of town. He didn't apologize or anything and he didn't seem fazed at all when I told him we were done. I don't know, I guess I was just upset because I feel like I wasted so much time. Not even just with him, I've been consistently picking bad guys ever since we stopped talking."

"Honey, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to deal with that today, and I'm sorry that you ever had to waste your time on men who weren't worthy of you. I can't even begin to explain how much I can relate to that. After you and I got out of touch, I made several poor decisions as well."

"What's important is that we're here now."

"Absolutely, and I'm so incredibly grateful for this second chance with you. I want you to know, that I'm in this for the long haul, Chloe. You're what I want and I'll do everything I can to prove that to you and to be what you deserve."

"I'm so glad. I feel the exact same way."

Nate squeezed my hand from across the table. The waiter brought our food and we ate as we talked about our jobs, friends, and everything in between. I found out that he was working for a large technology corporation and would be transferring to the office here within the next couple of weeks.
I told him about my job as a pediatric office secretary and how I was planning on going back to school at some point to get a degree in business administration.
He held on to every word I said and made it clear that he was paying attention and that he cared about my life and what I had to say. He held my hand the entire time.
When we had finished our lunch, he drove us back to my house. He had a couple of hours until his meeting with the realtor, so I invited him inside.